Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trying to drp lase BF of the day

(3 Posts)
Mumbly1 Wed 29-Jun-11 15:29:11

Help! I am trying to work out the best way to drop my 14.5 month olds last BF of the day, she has never taken a bottle and we have replaced the other feeds with a sippy cup as and when she has been ready. I am thinking about dropping the last BF as I am still the only person who can put her to bed but she loves the feed and cuddle and always happily goes into her cot and off to sleep so I am wary of changing things - does anyone have suggestions on how to drop this feed in the least stressful was possible?

JellyBellies Wed 29-Jun-11 16:04:11

Hi, I don't know if this will help but I dropped the bedtime feed when I moved house! Started a different routine in the new house and DS took to it and didnt look back. I am not suggesting something as drastic as moving house ;) but maybe a holiday/some different location might help kick start a new routine?

I'm sorry if it sounds like a ridiculous idea... I know its a bit extreme.

emsyj Wed 29-Jun-11 17:49:03

I really worried about this with DD but was so fed up of being the only one who could put her to bed that we just did it, and it was so easy!

The day after DD turned one, we decided that I wasn't going to bf her at bedtime (or at all) any more. For two weeks, DH did bedtime every night. It helped perhaps that he always did bath time anyway, so it wasn't a huge change IYSWIM.

Anyway, he did bath time as usual and then sat in the chair with her in her room and read a book to her. Then he turned the main light off (left the night light on) and played the music that the baby monitor plays and cuddled her til she was asleep. He held her to sleep for the first 3 or 4 nights, then after that he started putting her down sleepy but just about awake.

I can now put her to bed, or he can, or anyone can! It's great. She wasn't bothered about the breastfeed. I don't think she was getting much at that feed anyway. Now she has a cup of cows' milk before she goes up for her bath and she doesn't have anything after that. We brush her teeth at bath time and then she has a book and bed. I put her down wide awake now and she goes to sleep herself.

You might be surprised that your DD is less attached to the breast than you think. I had braced myself for weeks of tears and tantrums and no sleep when I gave up the bedtime feed, but we didn't have a single tear or problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now