Talk

Advanced search

Weaning off the breast cold turkey - handholding please

(5 Posts)
VeronicaCake Wed 29-Jun-11 08:15:29

I've just been put on some anti-epilepsy medication. I've looked it up on lactmed and it sounds like it the serum concentration in breastmilk is quite high but babies rarely suffer effects. Initially I was happy to just carry on feeding DD (nearly 14m) morning and evening as we have been.

But the side effects have kicked in now and I'm only on a quarter of the dose I'll be on eventually. The side effects are rotten and I've decided that I don't even want to take a very small risk that DD will suffer anything. So bf-ing has to stop (not taking the meds or changing meds at this point are not options).

Winding down gently isn't really appropriate and may not work so we've decided to go cold turkey this weekend. DH will be around to give DD lots of cuddles and attention morning and evening during the times when she usually feeds. Anyone else got any other tips on getting through this bit? Or just tea and sympathy because I feel really sad about it.

Cosmosis Wed 29-Jun-11 09:07:53

sad how sad that you are having to end so abruptly. Don’t forget to look after your boobs – you will probably need to express for comfort as well as to prevent blockages / mastitis. I’m sure you will both be fine and well done for bfing for so long.

mousymouse Wed 29-Jun-11 09:12:32

I went cold turkey with dd 2 weeks ago.
the mw advised me to tightly compress the boobs.
I took iboprofen the first two nights, as I couldn't sleep because the boobs were so tender and I expressed a little bit to ease the pain once. after those first two nights I was fine and now I don't have any. boobs are sadly again my smaller size (have to go bra shopping soon).

VeronicaCake Wed 29-Jun-11 09:35:03

Thank you both. Hmmm bra shopping is a good point. Perhaps I'll schedule a trip next week to cheer myself up.

TimeWasting Wed 29-Jun-11 09:38:13

Sorry you're having to stop so suddenly.

If you can express, perhaps once a day for a week or so, then reduce the volume for a while more you might find your breasts are less uncomfortable.
It does draw the process out longer but reduces the risk of mastitis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now