Talk

Advanced search

Will extended night sleeping diminish milk supply?

(9 Posts)
sleepdodger Wed 29-Jun-11 05:44:25

Hi just wondered if my ds going longer at night than gas before will result in a diminished milk supply? He only takes 1 side in middle of night so other side goes along time without being used potentially??

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 29-Jun-11 08:24:05

How old is your DS sleepdodger?

FlamingoBingo Wed 29-Jun-11 09:18:31

It could do, sleepdodger. The only way you'll find out is by keeping an eye on your supply. Some women find it easier than others to maintain their supply, and their breasts can cope with long gaps between feeds. Also, with older babies, breasts are better able to cope as well, in general. If you notice your supply dropping a little, you could try doing a dream feed very late at night, just before you go to bed, and see if that helps. Or, if it's important to you that you are able to continue breastfeeding, maybe getting up to express.

sleepdodger Wed 29-Jun-11 09:53:26

Thanks- ds 12wo
last feed midnight at the mo, so if fed at 4 and then 7 it could be 7 hrs

peedieworky Wed 29-Jun-11 10:34:26

Scuse my ignorance but what is a dreamfeed and why should/would you do it?

JoinTheDots Wed 29-Jun-11 10:39:41

Dream feed = late night feed initiated by you, not baby. Often given while baby is still half asleep just before you choose to sleep. Useful if your baby will then go a little longer before next waking giving you a longer chunk of sleep yourself.

peedieworky Wed 29-Jun-11 16:00:41

Ah! Thanks!

FlamingoBingo Wed 29-Jun-11 16:12:17

Also helps to make sure you have frequent stimulation of your milk supply, Peedie. Useful if you have one of those rare babies that sleeps through the night very young!

japhrimel Wed 29-Jun-11 21:45:14

Your supply should regulate to produce less at night, more during the day. My DD slept through from 6 weeks and my supply was fine after I got over the stage of waking up horribly engorged! Unfortunately she no longer sleeps through at 6 months old hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now