Talk

Advanced search

12 week old - enough to drink?

(10 Posts)
YogaMummy2B Tue 28-Jun-11 19:29:27

My 12 week old 14lb baby will not drink any more than 27 oz in a day. She has 5 feeds of between 5 - 6 oz and either falls asleep or screams blue murder if I try and get her to have more.
She is a reflux baby and has cows milk intolerance, has always been a very fussy feeder due to the reflux. Since going on to the new formula for her intolerance she no longer fusses while feeding but won't eat any more than 6oz and that takes about an hour 15 mins of dedication to try and get it into her!
Just drank 5oz in 10 mins and is asleep now.
What should I do? Is this enough for her?

RitaMorgan Tue 28-Jun-11 19:48:25

Is she gaining weight, alert and content between feeds, producing lots of nappies?

YogaMummy2B Tue 28-Jun-11 20:21:03

She has been gaining weight and is remaining happily within her parameters for 75th centile.
About 5 or 6 wet nappies and 1 dirty a day. Far too alert!!! Takes everything in, lots of chat and no sleep during the day! Seems content as long as has enough attention/cuddles etc.
She sleeps through from 7pm to 7am 5 out of 7 nights. I was thinking if I woke her around 10pm I could feed her another 4 or 5 oz then?

RitaMorgan Tue 28-Jun-11 20:40:11

She sounds like she is doing fine to me. Not everyone has the same appetite.

cruelladepoppins Tue 28-Jun-11 20:43:42

She sounds lovely! Maybe she is just "dainty"?

Or is it possible that it's too much effort for her to get the milk out of a bottle? This was an issue for my two when they were small, whenever they had EBM. Could never get enough to come out of a bottle-teat for them. We put them on a sippy cup prob a bit before 12 weeks - sterilized of course. Not an "anyway up" cup, that would have needed too much suction, just a cup with a lid with a raised "spout" with four holes in it. They learned really quickly.

Or do you think drinking more quickly would make the reflux worse?

YogaMummy2B Tue 28-Jun-11 20:54:56

She has taken 7oz on the odd occasion when she was on regular formula, this new one does not taste as good, wonder if she just satisfies her hunger and then stops.
Tried her on the next teat size with mixed results, some screaming due to the speed of delivery but in the end she still only took 5oz?!
My worry is that if she has taken 7oz before now then she really needs that amount. Oh stress!!!

RitaMorgan Tue 28-Jun-11 21:06:39

Just because she has taken 7oz on the odd occasion doesn't mean she needs it every time. If she is happy and healthy then maybe just trust her?

mum23girlys Tue 28-Jun-11 21:07:29

My hv told me when I was worried about how much my baby was feeding that they should have between 2 and 2.5 oz per lb of body weight in a day. So 27oz maybe on the lower end of the scale but still enough. If she's sleeping all night though she is definately getting enough milk through the day. I also wouldn't recommend waking at 10pm if she's not looking for milk then as you'll just upset the wee routine you've already worked hard on and she may start looking for a feed everytime she stirs through the night and you'll be up and down like a yoyo.

My dd3 was a big baby to start with and at 7 months is now 25lb and wearing 12-18mth clothes. She's a bruiser lol. But I did worry about her milk intake as she wasn't having the 'recommended' amount re weight/formula ratio.

What I'm trying to say is try not to stress about what she's taking and just feed when she's hungry. A baby will only take what it needs and at 12 weeks she sounds like you're doing a fab job and is very healthy and happy

daisylulu Tue 28-Jun-11 21:19:54

Hi yoga.<waves from reflux thread> You sound exactly like me. I have been worrying about Js milk intake. She too is on the lower end and averages 23oz a day even tho she weighs 12pound. I feel like I'm constantly trying to force food down her as on occasion she has had 32oz in a day. I am trying not to stress (easier said than done) and let J tell me how much she wants. I think as she has reflux I've become hypersensitive as to how much she eats. I haven't offered any advice but just want to say you're not alone in your worries. Sounds like you are doing a great job though if she's sleeping thru night and gaining weight. J still wants a nightfeed. Can't wait until she sleeps thru the night.

YogaMummy2B Tue 28-Jun-11 21:46:09

Thanks all, had just made a bottle in anticipation of waking her at 10pm but will just leave her as you suggest mum as she was a tired little sod when I fed her and put her to bed.
Hi Daisy <waves back> good to know you are feeling the same, although not so good really! I guess we should both relax. As you say when your LO has reflux I think you become a little obsessed with what they eat or don't eat.
I know from when I BF her that she let me know when she wanted to eat for hunger or comfort so I guess she will let me know now too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now