Talk

Advanced search

16 week old still cluster feeding in the evenings?

(4 Posts)
sleepysammy Tue 28-Jun-11 16:07:09

Hi, just wondering if this is normal. My DD is still cluster feeding in the evenings usually between 5.00pm til around 9.00pm. I am usually rewarded with a block of 4 hours sleep then so can't complain too much but find it hard to make tea/eat tea or do anything else around this time. She will then feed 2/3 times during the night and feeding every 3 hours(ish) during the day.
I BF DS till around 5 months but was mix feeding so don't think I had this issue. Not sure if this is normal/when will it end!?

TruthSweet Tue 28-Jun-11 17:57:08

DD3 cluster fed for months and it wasn't until she was about 9m did we bother with an earlier than 10pm bedtime. She stopped cluster feeding and settled into having a feed then an hour/hour and a half nap then repeat until 10pm by the time she was about 6 months old. Prior to that she spent most of every evening constantly feeding/snoozing rather than a definite feed then a sleep on my lap. It meant I got waited on every evening unless DH cuddled her whilst I did something else.

DD1 was something else on the feeding front as she had reflux and was bottle fed for the 1st 8 weeks (she cluster fed whether she was bottle or breast fed) but DD2 stopped cluster feeding comparatively early at about 20-ish weeks.

You might find feeding your DD for frequently during the day would get you a bit of a shorter cluster feeding period as 3(ish) hourly is a fairly long gap between feeds for a 16 weeker if it doesn't don't sweat it. Babies are only small for such a short time and I certainly miss the cluster feeding evenings now mine are 5, 3.8 & 20m grin

sleepysammy Tue 28-Jun-11 18:31:02

Truthsweet - thanks for telling my your experiences, nice to know I'm not the only one! Perhaps I will try to feed her more in the day, hard to fit her in with a 2.5 year old charging around.

Well feeding frenzy has now commenced for this evening, like you say it is quite nice to be waited on, not sure my OH thinks the same same grin

Im definately not wishing this time away, this is probably my last baby, but am working on my OH for a third wink

Muser Tue 28-Jun-11 21:07:37

My baby wasn't cluster feeding for quite as long, but she did feed on and off a lot in the evenings, and pretty constantly from around 8pm until 11ish, then when she was about 12 weeks it became 10ish. She's now 19 weeks and in the last couple of weeks things have got a lot better. First her bedtime shifted forward to 9.30, but she was feeding from 7.30 then so still a long feed. Now she falls asleep between 8 and 8.30. Her final feed, which had been a long cluster feed, can now be as little as half an hour.

When she was taking hours to feed I did try a few times to settle her in other ways. All that would happen is she'd go from sleeping 5-6 hours in a row to only doing 2 hours. So I just went with it. Her earlier bedtimes have coincided with shorter lengths of sleeps, which has been rough, but I'm confident she'll get through this as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now