Talk

Advanced search

Greenish poo from my 3wk DD - also v windy

(7 Posts)
JoyceBarnaby Tue 28-Jun-11 12:39:23

I thought BFing was going really well with DD (much easier than it was for weeks and weeks with my DS) - despite a tough start in SCBU, she has been feeding really well and last week gained 11oz. She had been mostly content and producing lots of wet and dirty nappies. I think we have a good latch (I remember the pain of a bad latch with DS!).

She has been increasingly unsettled in the late evening - crying, lots of wind, only sleeping when held etc. Last night was quite a bad night for this and we also noticed her nappies looking quite green. They've been more mustardy today (although not the bright yellow they were). She has periods of being settled and sleeping peacefully and periods where she seems to be struggling with wind or other tummy pain.

Does this suggest she's getting too much foremilk? If so, how do I deal with this? Does anyone have any other thoughts? I'm feeding on demand and def not worrying about routine or anything like that, but I'm at that foggy, sleep-deprived stage where I need to feel like I'm doing something!!

RitaMorgan Tue 28-Jun-11 12:44:42

Fussy evenings, cluster feeding and wanting to be held is very normal - I think they often wake up a bit after the first couple of weeks and become more demanding! Seem to remember there's a growth spurt around 3 weeks too?

I believe green poo can sometimes be to do with foremilk or oversupply, but it's often nothing (or at least no problem) and most babies have green poo occasionally.

Olivetti Tue 28-Jun-11 12:52:07

Agree with Rita Morgan. I remember 3 weeks being a really tought time with my DD (she's now nearly 8 months). Doing all the things you say, and occasionally a green nappy. The doctor told me that the poo could sometimes go a bit green if they have a touch of cold - nothing to worry about. I know wind caused our DD agony, we used to spend HOURS at night winding her. I found infacol an absolute Godsend - have you tried that? Takes 4 or 5 days to get going, but really helps them to bring all the wind up in burps.

Olivetti Tue 28-Jun-11 12:52:25

tough time

JoyceBarnaby Tue 28-Jun-11 12:57:12

Thanks ladies. That's good to know about the green poo. I don't remember DS ever having one so it's new - although, I keep looking at her nappies and failing to remember what his were like, so maybe he did and I've forgotten!

We have started the Infacol but only 2 days ago, so will give it a few more days. Thanks again.

Yesmynameis Tue 28-Jun-11 13:39:16

I read that green poo can be an indicator of too much foremilk, which is also linked to wind and colic. As it came with the other symptons you describe of being windy and a bit more unsettled than usual I would say this might have been the case, however as a one off I wouldn't be too worried. I think many babies have the odd green poo, dd certainly did the odd one or two.

If you want to ensure she's getting plenty of hindmilk you could try block feeding from one breast to see if this makes any difference?

trixie123 Tue 28-Jun-11 16:30:34

wow, thats really interesting. DD (6wks) had a horrible green and nasty smelling nappy two days ago and we have been having trouble with unsettled evenings, 2-3 hours of screaming. Have just started on infacol - didn't know it took a few days to kick in. She has also been a bit snuffly and snotty so that fits with the cold thing. we mix feed and she tends to get impatient with the boob after a few mins so she probably is getting a lot of foremilk and little hindmilk. Anyway, OP, sounds like yours is pretty typical - I remember DS having a few variations but he never really got this colicky thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now