Talk

Advanced search

BF and hayfever treatments?

(7 Posts)
b00kw0rm Tue 28-Jun-11 11:33:10

Hi, I'm sure this has been done before, but I only had time for a quick look as I'm at work blush
I'm BF DS (7 months) but REALLY struggling with hayfever at the moment... all the medicines seem to be unsuitable for BF mums and the pharmacist I asked was completely unhelpful too.
Anyone got any tips or drugs that would be ok to take? TIA.

Yesmynameis Tue 28-Jun-11 11:49:19

There is a new nasal spray called Prevalin which is suitable for preg and bf mums which I've been using. It's not brilliant but it's certainly better than nothing! It got it from boots hth

EauRouge Tue 28-Jun-11 11:53:13

BFN drug factsheet.

I was told by the pharmacist I couldn't have anything hmm They err on the side of caution. The BFN has a drug helpline that you might find useful or if you phone your local MWs, LLL or NCT then one of them might have the latest copy of Dr Hale .

TheWaterHorse Thu 30-Jun-11 12:15:42

I have used one of these (the "allergy reliever" not the ioniser - I couldn't find the reliever separately) for the past two years.

Basically it's a probe that shines red light up your nose, which is meant to reduce the production of histamine. I use it two or three times a day (for two mins at a time) during the hayfever season and it has stopped the worst of the hayfever. I still get the odd sneeze but nothing like what it was.

Justfeckingdoit Thu 30-Jun-11 12:20:29

Hayaway is the answer. You can get it from boots. Totally natural with no chemicals (and this is from someone who is not at all into homeopathic stuff)

Rub it on your nose...it works.

I used it while pregnant so will be fine for bf. Top stuff.

lilham Thu 30-Jun-11 16:33:24

I'm sure my NHS birth to 5 book says Loratadine (ie Clarityn) is ok to use during BF. I also used it during my pregnancy and I've checked the NHS website said it's ok too.

prettybird Thu 30-Jun-11 19:31:02

I asked my best friend's dh's (they're both GPs: he was the one that answered the phone) for advice after a pharmacist was reluctant to let me have an anti-histamine (I was going on holiday and occasionally suffer badly from an urticaria type heat rash).

His comment was that it might (but highly unlikely) make ds (11 months at the time) a wee bit sleepy - and my problem with that was........????? grinwink

I went to a different pharmacy and didn't mention I was breastfeeding.

IIRC, he suggested Clarityn - but I am sure someone will come on with what Jack Newman recommends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now