Talk

Advanced search

Dieting while breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
JenF79 Mon 27-Jun-11 23:26:22

Long time lurker, first time poster. DD is just turning 6 months old and I'm now feeling the need to get back into shape and generally firm up. I'm bfing and would like to continue to do so. I've got a few ideas about exercise I can potentially do at home, I'm just finding conflicting advice on whether it's safe to diet too. Does anyone have experience, advice or good sources of info?

Thanks.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 27-Jun-11 23:28:37

Slimming World has a plan for bfing mums. It's a very sensible eating plan and I lost 3 stone while BFing DD2.

MarisCrane Mon 27-Jun-11 23:31:31

I started weightwatchers when DS was about 3.5 months, EBF. I was fine for a while but then started feeling a bit tired and faint so stopped. He's now 5 months and I'm going to increase my exercise but keep eating the same (not an excessive amount), for the next couple of months.

UnseenAcademicalMum Mon 27-Jun-11 23:35:54

I also followed the Weightwatchers breastfeeding plan from 4 months whilst EBF. I really noticed a difference in milk supply, so not sure I'd recommend actually dieting. Maybe other diet plans are better. I felt permanently hungry on WW and lost about a stone v. quickly - good for me, not so great for ds2.

LaCiccolina Tue 28-Jun-11 09:41:56

The usual clubs weightwatchers/Slimming World are fine but with bfing using about 500 extra cals a day (approx) you might find you don't need to.

Could get a couple of DVDs? Davina was ok. Tracy Anderson Method was something to work up to I found but once you find yourself able shes pretty stellar. Best suggestion is to take the pushchair out for walks. By walk I mean 20/30mins a time or work up to this (and longer) as you feel able. Stop driving everywhere or getting buses. Our local council and childrens centre run a buggy walk at local park - does yours? Phone either, or the sports dept for info. More walking will definitely = fitter Mum. Not all about food...

RitaMorgan Tue 28-Jun-11 10:19:49

I can't imagine dieting would have much effect on breastfeeding unless it's a very extreme crash diet/you become dehydrated/you are underweight to begin with. Your body prioritises milk production.

EauRouge Tue 28-Jun-11 10:25:54

I have lost a fair bit of weight without dieting by carrying DD2 everywhere in a sling (whilst running like a loon after DD1). It means you can walk in more interesting places than you can with a buggy and your DD will love it smile

Kellymom has some good advice here.

watto1 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:17:25

I did WeightWatchers. They give you extra 'points' if you are breastfeeding. I had no problems with milk supply but lost weight at a rate of roughly 1-2 pounds a week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: