Talk

Advanced search

Do breastfed babies NEVER get constipated?

(12 Posts)
redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 27-Jun-11 21:02:37

What about when they start with solid food? I am convinced DS is constipated as he passed two really hard pebble-like poos today. He is breastfed but eating some solids (he's 7 months). I offer him water but he doesn't take very much. Could it just be a strange blip or could he be constipated?

I am confused as I thought general wisdom was that bf babies didn't suffer from constipation.

RitaMorgan Mon 27-Jun-11 21:03:27

Exclusively breastfed babies - solid food can cause constipation.

AnyFuleKno Mon 27-Jun-11 21:05:09

Dd did, enough to need laxatives.

thisisyesterday Mon 27-Jun-11 21:05:14

i would hesitate to say they "never" get constipated, but it's rare.

it's more likely to be the solid food. hard pebble-like stools do definitely sound like constipation to me!

what has he been eating? DS1 was really prone to constipation as a baby, weetabix and banana being the main culprits!

peeriebear Mon 27-Jun-11 21:05:33

My friend's DS was constipated when she was BFing him and so was she. She drank tons of that juice you could get with soluble fibre in it and it went through them both like a greased goose.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 27-Jun-11 21:21:03

I wondered if it was the heat as he gets quite sweaty. He drinks water from a Doidy cup but doesn't get a lot in (it seems to go all down him!). He seems fine in himself but the poo definitely didn't look normal, poor boy.

He does have weetabix or cereal most mornings and some banana. He might have some veg for lunch or a mini pitta with cream cheese and for tea he has something like chicken casserole. He also has yogurt and fruit most days.

Tryharder Mon 27-Jun-11 22:19:57

Probably just a combination of the heat and solids. Has he been on solids long? I ask because when my DD first started eating solid food, she seemed constipated from time to time. However, after a few weeks, it settled down so I put it down to her system getting used to the new food...

SlightlyScrambled Tue 28-Jun-11 07:52:42

Banana can cause constipation and did for my DD when she started solids. She won't eat them now so I think she associates the two in her mind.
I undercooked carrot once and it had the same effect.

Yesmynameis Tue 28-Jun-11 11:06:08

Banana, yoghurt, bread, egg and cereals can all be binding for some babies. I think apple is sometimes a culprit as well. My 8 mo bf baby has suffered from bouts of constipation on and off since starting solids.

The solution is the 'p' fruits. Offer pear, peaches, prunes, plums etc in various ways. My 8 mo will also munch on an orange segment or two, which works really well and better than offering juice imo.

Yesmynameis Tue 28-Jun-11 11:06:43

oooh forgot pineapple

Teapot13 Tue 28-Jun-11 13:18:02

My DD needs to eat grapes. They are a big choking hazard, so I cut them in quarters. We even resort to raisins at times.

It's hard at the start because they need water but it's a new thing to learn -- I would experiment with different cups and see what he likes. My DD loves to drink from a straw and I find she drinks more when she does.

firstforthought Tue 28-Jun-11 18:01:35

My 8 month old DS is showing the same signs. (some grunting and crying occ. too). I am upping his waterr intake and being abit more aware of the solids he is taking as in if they are binding foods or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now