Talk

Advanced search

abrupt end to breastfeeding,left with one very large breast, any advice

(6 Posts)
RedCardinal Mon 27-Jun-11 20:49:28

My DD is 8 months old and I am due back at work in August so have made a slow attempt to wean my DD from breast to bottle. I begun in June with one feed where she only took 50ml. On one occassion last week she begun to bite me - nothing too bad but I did yelp. This happend three times and each time I yelped she would not feed from me afterwards. I did not expect this to be so sudden and now she is taking formula from a sippy cup, not the recommended amount yet almost 320ml. I am pleased that she is drinking formula however a bit sad at the end of breast feeding as I thought I might still get to do 1 a day.

My problem now is I have one large breast and I am at a loss of how to get it back down to size. Ant advice please as I look a bit lop-sided smile.

Many Thanks.

sneezecakesmum Mon 27-Jun-11 22:57:02

At the end of bfing sad the boobs usually return to the usual size fairly quickly so unless they were odd to start with you should be ok. Pregnancy and bfing does do some odd things though with some women left with larger boobs and some with smaller ones - but not usually on the same woman!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 29-Jun-11 08:26:22

Think the best thing you can do is ring a Bfing Counsellor. She can talk through everything with you, the engorgement, the amount of formula DD is getting and anything else you want to discuss.

japhrimel Wed 29-Jun-11 21:53:13

I'd look up info on Kellymom on nursing strikes as that doesn't sound like nearly enough FF to sustain her, so it sounds like you have 2 issues - LO that won't bf or take enough formula AND lop-sided boobs.

RedCardinal Thu 30-Jun-11 18:13:45

Thanks, I will contact a health visiter soon.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 01-Jul-11 12:57:59

Red just bear in mind that your HV probably won't have very much experience of nursing strikes or biting or alternatives to bottles. You may do better ringing a Breastfeeding Counsellor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now