Talk

Advanced search

Formula milks

(4 Posts)
Emandwilliam Mon 27-Jun-11 15:36:24

Can anyone tell me the reason for follow on milks, goodnight milk or growing up milk? Is it just a way of making more money? I'm thinking my ds will continue on stage 1 formula until he's 1 year old then switch to normal milk, but not sure if I should move on or not....

RitaMorgan Mon 27-Jun-11 15:39:01

Yes - they legally can't advertise milk for babies under 6 months, so invented "Follow-On Milk" to get round it.

Goodnight milk, growing up milk etc are all just marketing ploys. They've come out with formula for 2 to 3 year olds now as well!

The NHS recommends using first milk for 12 months then full fat cow's milk.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-11 15:40:10

Follow-on milks exist because it's illegal in the UK to advertise (or discount) milks intended for babies under 6 months. So they exist for advertising reasons. (They do have more iron than Stage 1 milks - but that makes them often constipating.)

The rest, yes, it's just a way to make more money. If your baby is eating well at a year, cow's milk is fine then.

Emandwilliam Mon 27-Jun-11 15:45:21

Thanks I thought it was a marketing thing. I just received lots of money off vouchers for these milks. We are sticking to stage one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now