Talk

Advanced search

Painful breast after stopping breast feeding a week ago - mastitis?

(5 Posts)
monkey32 Mon 27-Jun-11 10:58:27

I stopped breast feeding last week and am now suffering from a very painful breast. It feels slightly hard to the touch but is not particularly red nor am I suffering from a fever.

Do you think it might be mastitis? If so, or if not, does anyone have any advice for me? Should I go to the doc?

Many thanks

PssstOverHere Mon 27-Jun-11 12:31:33

With no redness or fever or cold/flu symptoms I'd think maybe a blocked duct or engorgement rather than mastitis. When I finished one of mine went quite hard and sore, I massaged and expressed in a warm shower and the blockage came out (it looked like curdled milk, yuk) and I had no problems after that. Maybe try that?

welliesandpyjamas Mon 27-Jun-11 12:35:48

I did the same as psssstoverhere and it worked. May take a few tries though. Hope you feel better soon.

monkey32 Mon 27-Jun-11 17:27:10

Righto, express and massage here we come! Feel a bit sad as stopped bfeeding as supply was diminishing and with two other DC I just couldn't dedicate sufficient time to replenish supply etc. Ho hum, at least I got a month in.

Many thanks for advice.

watto1 Sun 03-Jul-11 21:21:37

Same thing happened to me. Doc diagnosed mastitis even though I didn't feel ill in myself. Antibiotics worked a treat. When I expressed after a couple of days of pain the milk was green! Revolting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now