Talk

Advanced search

Help with possible blocked duct please!

(12 Posts)
WiiUnfit Sun 26-Jun-11 22:57:14

Hi all,

I'm currently ebf my 2.5wo DS, I'm looking for any ideas I can try to help relieve what I think is a blocked milk duct on my right breast, it's a hard little lump to the top-left of my nipple about the size of a frozen pea & looks red. It doesn't particularly hurt & I don't have a temperature or feel flu-like so I don't think it's mastitis but I don't want it to end up being so I need your help!

So far I've tried:
- Feeding DS from the affected breast first
- Feeding DS as much as possible
- Massaging towards the nipple during feeds
- Hot flannel on the affected breast
- Hot water bottle on the affected breast
- Seriously long, seriously hot shower (even held the shower head on my breast to try & relieve
- Expressing in the bath & shower
- Expressing normally

Please help! sad TIA!

hellymelly Sun 26-Jun-11 23:04:53

A wide toothed comb stroked towards the nipple,over the block can help,use it after the hot flannels.But really the best thing for me was getting dd to have a really long feed.I could feel the lump going.Bliss.Check there isn't a block at the nipple end (clogged up white looking pore) as that can cause a lump further back.Take some ibuprofen as the anti-inflammatory action helps ward off mastitis.

ZhenXiang Sun 26-Jun-11 23:07:46

When I had mastitis I found alternating hot and cold with the shower worked better than just hot.

WiiUnfit Sun 26-Jun-11 23:24:33

helly, thank you, will try that! DS has had lots of really long feeds from that breast since I found the lump on Friday night but it doesn't seem to be clearing it, I'm already fantasising about feeling the lump go but alas, it really doesn't seem to want to! sad I've had a good inspection of my nipple & can't seem any white pores! Not sure if I can take ibuprofen as I have kidney problems, I think I'm going to call my MW tomorrow morning, evening though we've now been signed off she said to call if I needed anything!

Zhen, thanks, I'll definitely try that tomorrow morning, I'm so exhausted now I don't think I could stay upright in another shower!!

WiiUnfit Sun 26-Jun-11 23:26:44

helly, I forgot to add, on the ibuprofen front - I still had diclofenac from my EMCS so I have taken one on those for the anti-inflammatory properties but have now run out! sad

hellymelly Sun 26-Jun-11 23:55:45

yes,diclofenac would have done the trick. I have heard that gently massaging the lump towards the duct can help but I didn't really do that-it made me shudder for some reason.Make sure your bra/sling etc aren't pressing at that point (that's what caused mine). You can "comb" the lump with your fingers while your ds is feeding,and also try feeding with his chin pointing towards the lump (this can entail some rather hilarious postitions I found).
And congratulations!

WiiUnfit Wed 29-Jun-11 18:17:59

Hi helly, still working on my little 'frozen pea'! sad I saw my GP today who has prescribed antibiotics, she said the fact that it was red & now isn't is a good sign that I may be kicking it out myself & it may clear, she told me to see how I go & if it's still there in the morning to begin the antibiotics course to avoid it becoming infected!

grin at the chin pointing towards the lump - entailed hilarious positions here to, DS sort of diagonal, he didn't look too impressed!

Thank you for your help & the congratulations, DS is still happily feeding from the affected breast so hoping this will resolve quickly as I really don't want it to affect bf'ing him, I'd be devastated! sad

sc2987 Wed 29-Jun-11 19:28:39

Kellymom says there's no point in the chin thing unless you can work out where the duct comes out, as they aren't straight, so it might not be in line with the lump.

japhrimel Wed 29-Jun-11 21:31:35

I tried the chin-towards-the-lump trick not long ago when I had a blocked duct and it shifted it straight away, so I think it's worth trying. If you lay the baby on the bed and kneel/crouch over them to feed, then gravity helps too.

Warmth before a feed/express and cold afterwards always helps me. The breast nurse gel pads are great for this.

WiiUnfit Thu 30-Jun-11 22:51:04

Hi sc2987, thanks for that, pointing DS in each direction doesn't seem to clear it! sad

japhrimel I'll try the gravity thing & the alternate hot & cold, I'm willing to try absolutely anything now, I got really upset last night over the thought of it potentially stopping me bf'ing DS. sad That's the last thing I want. Luckily, DP is being so supportive, having DS between feeds so I can rest, keeping me topped up with painkillers & reassuring me.

I've started my antibiotics but am slightly paranoid about thrush now [hypochondriac emoticon]. It's weird that considering that's what boobs are for, so much can go so wrong! sad

mousymouse Thu 30-Jun-11 22:56:11

have you tried different feeding positions?
I remember feeding dd once on the bed, her lying on her back and me leaning/kneeling over her. oh that relief.

WiiUnfit Sat 02-Jul-11 14:41:09

It's funny you should say that mousy, I was on all fours on the bed over DS last night trying to shift it! grin

It hasn't gone but does feel somewhat smaller & not as hard so I'm not sure if it's on its way out?

I tend to vary feeding positions quite regularly with DS - 'traditional' (IYSWIM?), football .etc to encourage him to latch properly as he can be a bit lazy in not opening his mouth wide enough. I've been trying the exaggerated latch technique as well, which, when DS can be bothered, is fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now