Talk

Advanced search

Tandemmers - does bfing in pregnancy stop you going overdue?

(12 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sun 26-Jun-11 20:31:31

Particularly if you were late with your previous babies?

Was two weeks overdue with DD, who is still bfing (several times a day if she can). I cannot take another five weeks of this level of discomfort, please let me not go late again sad I will attempt a home Caesarean first.

Throw me a bone, please! smile

TheRealMBJ Sun 26-Jun-11 20:39:28

Don't know the answer (some one else who has more experience will probably be along soon) but you are statistically more likely to deliver earlier with your second anyway. smile

EauRouge Sun 26-Jun-11 20:46:44

It didn't for me, I was just as overdue with DD2 as I was with DD1. I think I must have an elephant somewhere in my family tree. Sorry you are having a rough time, fingers crossed you don't go 2 weeks overdue again!

DitaVonCheese Sun 26-Jun-11 20:52:07

MBJ I thought that but found some survey the other day that said your second is on average four days later than your first (then rest are earlier) confused

I am not obsessively googling, obviously ...

Babieseverywhere Sun 26-Jun-11 20:55:06

ha ha ha <hollow laugh>

I was three weeks overdue with DC3 and I was tandem nursing throughout that pregnancy. Only started due to a sweep.

TruthSweet Sun 26-Jun-11 20:56:05

DD1 was induced at 38 weeks but was nowhere near ready so took 4 days to get her out (3 days to get to fingertip dilation).

DD2 went to 39w 5 days as did DD3 - both due on a Tuesday but born the Sunday before confused.

I was nursing DD1 when DD2 was born and nursed DD1 until 8m pg with DD3, DD2 is nursing still.

Hopefully, you will go around your due date and not hang on for too long.

Use the time your DD is nursing to rest and put your feet up when you can.

Good luck smile

TheRealMBJ Sun 26-Jun-11 21:00:39

Ooh, I didn't know that!

<runs off to check google>

DitaVonCheese Sun 26-Jun-11 23:39:43

Thanks all. I might attempt a home sweep before sharpening the knives, but it's not looking good.

MBJ it's here though not a massive sample/not sure how scientific it is etc.

RobynLou Sun 26-Jun-11 23:42:01

I went 11 days over with DD2, was feeding DD1 throughout....sorry!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 27-Jun-11 07:25:15

oh dita! I feel your pain! I'm pg with dc2. Ds, who is still bf, was only about five days over, but three and a half of those days were latent labour.

From what i've read in adventures, bf can produce oxytocin, which can theoretically speed up or help establish labour. But for it to work the oxytocin receptors on the uterus have to be active and this doesn't happen till labour is immenent anyway....so i'm not sure it makes any real difference confused

Sorry, that's not what you want to hear. I too was banking on the supposed statistical pattern of second labours being earlier/faster. smile

DitaVonCheese Mon 27-Jun-11 12:07:59

Dammit!

Yeah, my obsessive googling suggests it all depends on the state of my cervix.

<gives cervix long hard look> hmm

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 27-Jun-11 18:11:40

while in labour with ds I screamed "fuck off cervix" when the mw told me i was still nine cm. It had been a long time.

We are beholden to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now