Talk

Advanced search

5 week old struggling in the heat

(10 Posts)
minibmw2010 Sun 26-Jun-11 16:52:12

DS 5 weeks is EFF and today seems to be really struggling and very bitty in his eating. I'm trying to get more into him and have stripped him down to his nappy and finally got him off for a nap. Is there anything else I can do to help him with the heat??

mumblebum Sun 26-Jun-11 16:53:06

Have you tried offering him some cooled boiled water?

sprinkles77 Sun 26-Jun-11 17:05:41

open the window and hang a damp muslin or towel over it. get a fan. cooled boiled water in a bottle or cup. Sponge him with tepid water (not cold, it will be too cold for him). dampen his hair.

minibmw2010 Sun 26-Jun-11 18:01:32

Thank you for those suggestions. I wasn't sure whether he was still too young for water? If not, what volume are we talking? Cheers smile

gourd Sun 26-Jun-11 18:17:10

I thought the advice was that breastfed babies do not need water and should not be given any water until you start weaning them. Breast milk has a watery part to it - it's probably what he is getting when he is feeding little and often, and that is the reason he is doing it. If you fill his tiny tummy with water he will breastfeed less which is not what you want! I agree though that tepid baths and sponging are good, wetting hair also, or even putting a damp t-shirt, body suit or vest on him if his temperature seems high. Tepid water only though, not cold. Keeping his room as cool as possible when he's in the cot - a fan, blinds drawn against the sun etc also good.

mumblebum Sun 26-Jun-11 18:21:10

I think the baby is formula fed not breastfed so a little water may help. Only an ounce or two in a day I should think.

gourd Sun 26-Jun-11 18:23:03

Just a thought, but have you actually taken his temperature? He might not actually be that hot if he is sitting in his nappy and breastfeeding frequently. However, if his core tamp (taken internally, up bottom is best, or in ear if that's not possible) is very high (anything over 37, but 38+ is high, 39+ very high) and he doesn't seem to be responding to your efforts to cool him down, you can take him to your GP as an emergency or to A&E out of GP hours.

gourd Sun 26-Jun-11 18:25:05

Doh! My Bad, didn't get what EFF was, sorry! Yes, water Ok then, in small amounts! If he wont drink the water, you can try spooning it into his mouth or a syringe if you've got one.

beanlet Sun 26-Jun-11 18:29:00

Small amounts of cooled boiled water to drink if it's a very hot day and you're worried about dehydration is absolutely fine. You'll get conflicting advice on this in the UK, but in Australia where hot weather is common, it's standard medical advice.

beanlet Sun 26-Jun-11 18:29:51

Amount - a couple of mL at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now