Talk

Advanced search

Drinking and BF

(10 Posts)
JollySergeantJackrum Sat 25-Jun-11 22:18:25

Have just had four beers. DS is 9 weeks and EBF. This is the first time I've had more than one beer or one glass of wine. When can I BF again? Have a bottle organised for his 2am ish feed. Can I BF at 5am ish or should I organise a bottle for then too? (I have expressed milk in the freezer).

Wasn't planning to drink this much but a relative has died and I'm having a few drinks in her memory. If I had planned it I would have been more organised in working out BF timings etc.

JackiePaper Sat 25-Jun-11 22:21:34

You'll be fine for the 5 am fed, most of it be out of your system by then. Sorry to hear of your sad news x

JollySergeantJackrum Sat 25-Jun-11 22:22:57

Phew, thanks.

And thanks for your kind thoughts smile

RitaMorgan Sat 25-Jun-11 22:25:04

It takes about an hour for each unit to leave your system, but really a tiny amount gets into the milk anyway. You'll be fine by 5.

LakeFlyPie Sat 25-Jun-11 22:26:13

My understanding is that alcohol levels in bm relate to blood alcohol levels and 4 beers should be pretty much processed by the early hours (working on a unit an hour).

TBH I'd probably bf at 2am unless you feel too inebriated (don't know how big or strong your 4 beers were).

I'd make sure to have plenty of water so you don't end up dehydrated and headachey.

JollySergeantJackrum Sat 25-Jun-11 22:31:25

According to the side of the can, 1.8 units a can. 440ml each at 4.0% vol. I do feel quite inebriated at this point in time. This is the most I have drunk in nearly a year. I'm sure I'll be feeling better in 4 hours time though!

That's 7.2 units finishing at 2220, so there'll still be quite a lot left by 2am working on a unit an hour. But by 5 they'll be almost gone. Right, I'll BF at 5am then, but go for the bottle at 2am (I already have the milk out of the freezer so it seems a shame to waste it).

TheRealMBJ Sun 26-Jun-11 06:32:35

If you can drive, you can bf.

supergreenuk Sun 26-Jun-11 07:10:25

Nhs web site says it's 1 unit every 2 hours. As a one off though it will be fine.

Zimm Sun 26-Jun-11 13:50:12

The NHS website also saying BF mothers should not drink more than 1-2 units per week. Pillocks. There is a proper study somewhere....will see if can find it.

JollySergeantJackrum Sun 26-Jun-11 15:16:27

Thanks folks. Fed him with expressed milk at 1:30am and then breast fed at 5:15. He doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects.

It was a one off. If I plan to drink again I'll be expressing in advance and will have organised myself not to feed him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now