Talk

Advanced search

BFing positioning

(4 Posts)
fraktious Sat 25-Jun-11 07:39:46

DS likes to turn his head to the side when feeding. How can I stop him doing this? If I hold his body he turns his head anyway, attached to my boob, which flipping hurts!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 25-Jun-11 08:04:13

Change where his body weight is. Depends on how old he is of course but you could hold the back of his neck. Make sure his mouth is very open, if it is, it's less easy for him to move his neck to turn his head.

Or you could try feeding lying down, which will make it very hard for him to turn.

Also eliminate any distractions - is he turning to look at the TV? Have you tried a nursing necklace which will capture his attention so he fiddles with that instead of turning round?

fraktious Sat 25-Jun-11 08:27:03

He's 2 months, very long, won't let me hold the back of his neck and twists even when lying down.

Nursing necklace is a good idea, I've heard of people making them so I might look into that.

sc2987 Sat 25-Jun-11 14:58:28

You could feed him in a sling so there's less distraction visible. And skin-to-skin might make him pay more attention to you. Stretchy wrap probably best for this, but a mei tai (especially if it has a hood) would work too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now