Talk

Advanced search

Can someone guess whats going on? New to BFing and help needed....

(12 Posts)
alabasterangel Fri 24-Jun-11 17:38:21

I've got a 2.5 week old DS who is being BF. DD was bottle fed so this is all new to me.

I've always had a bit of pain when latching on, but it passes within 10 seconds as soon as he starts to suck properly. Can only describe the pain as needle-like. I've also had pain when he's been incorrectly latched and is sucking on the nipple only which is a similar pain but more intense.

HV has seen me feeding and has said that the latch is correct, so I'm not overly worried about that.

But past 48 hours things have altered and I'm in proper pain at the moment. I've looked up mastitis and thrush and pain from incorrect latching, and it seems i have elements of all 3, but nothing I can conclusively say could be the issue. Basically....

Nipples are super "sore" - shower wrecked this morning (as did PJ top without a bra on brushing against me), brushing against them hurts like hell generally. I can't see any cracking or bleeding though? On latching on, that hurts like hell again too for about the first 5-10 seconds, then the pain subsides. After feeding I get shooty, tingly, uncomfortable pains in the boob and the nipple. Lightly applying pressure to the whole boob for a second or two (pushing with the palm of my hand) aleviates the pain. No pain at all pumping (electric). No red patches, nothing sore, no fever. I'm bloody knackered today and lethargic but with a 2 week only baby who isn't?

Been trying to use Lansinoh (sp?) but when I do use it, unless I thoroughly remove it before the next feed then DS can't latch on at all - almost like it makes things too slippery? And wiping it off is so sore I hate having to do it.

Anyone got any ideas what might be up? Bit baffled really.

tiktok Fri 24-Jun-11 17:40:36

Call one of the bf helplines - this needs checking out. You;re right to feel something is up....hope you get good help.

TheRealMBJ Fri 24-Jun-11 18:45:42

It sounds like the initial pain you were experiencing (and still do) may be your let-down. However, the new development definitely doesn't seem normal. tiktok is right, it needs to be seen to. Ring one of the helplines and consider seeing a BFC or laction consultant.

In the meantime, you could take some paracetamol to help with the pain, and try using some lansinoh. Breast shells that keep your shirt or bra off your nipples may also help relieve your discomfort. Here is an example

TheRealMBJ Fri 24-Jun-11 18:47:04

Just to clarify, the last paragraph are some ideas of what may help relieve the discomfort temporarily BUT it is essential to get to the bottom of the problem.

Hopefully Fri 24-Jun-11 19:24:35

It sounds very like the thrush symptoms I had - the sooner you sort it out, the better. Definitely phone BFC and maybe go to a walk in centre if there's one near you open on weekends?

alabasterangel Fri 24-Jun-11 20:22:01

Thanks.

Yes, there is a walk-in GP place and if needs be then I'll go tomorrow.

Have had a visit from a BF support lady a few days ago and she just said everything was great and latch etc. all fine at that stage but it's since then I've had the pain. I do get a letdown sensation (get it whether he's feeding or not, just thinking about him can set it off) but thats more like a gentle tingle - this is like a pain where I want to stamp my feet or clutch the arm of the chair, but it passes in seconds though. I do have to say he adjusted his position himself in the last feed I did just now, and he was sucking on just the nipple and it made the tears roll down my face - urgh!!!! But as soon as I unlatched him and got him right, it passed again. Paracetamol did help me do that feed, so now I'm not due to feed myself again till about 2am (he has an EBM bottle at 10 so I can go to bed earlier which hubby gives) so have slathered in lanisoh and will have 6 hours respite too.

Can't see any other symptoms of thrush - pale colour which doesn't alter, white mouth coating in baby, etc, or any of the other symptoms in the NHS guide? However I am thinking at this stage that an hours outing to the walk-in first thing in the morning might be necessary just to check all is okay....

alabasterangel Fri 24-Jun-11 20:24:17

Just to ask as well, is it normal for a baby to struggle to latch through the lanisoh? He really seems to dislike it.

mrsjohnsimm Fri 24-Jun-11 20:27:27

The toe-curling first ten seconds thing is absolutely normal -- no need to worry about that and it would normally stop hurting within another week or so. The rest of it, you're right, it's not normal. I would vaguely guess at thrush but I'm not an expert.

mrsjohnsimm Fri 24-Jun-11 20:30:20

Is the Lanisoh actually helping you? If he's got a good latch and the problem is (e.g.) thrush then it may not be needed at all, which would get round the latching-through-lanisoh problem.

Panzo Sun 26-Jun-11 11:26:30

Hope you managed to see someone to help yesterday - just a thought - you could try breastmilk on nips instead of lansinoh if it is causing issues. Hope HV etc have told you that if you do get red marks or fluey feeling then get help straight away - don't wait for weekend to pass - catch it early.

I had sore nips at start first even though latch was good and had it checked - possibly just boobs getting used to the sensation, milk production getting - it's always worth asking other people re latch - any breastfeeding support group that you can find.

Sounds like you are doing really well though otherwise and I found the first couple of weeks the hardest - getting supply established/ having baby stuck to you all the time/ long feeds etc but now at almost 10 months it's a breeze (but it didn't take 10 mths to become a breeze!!)

Is there a La leche League in your area (http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/groups/groups.htm) - I've found it a really supportive and knowledgeable group - met a mum there who ff first and now bf second so similar learning curve.

smile

Albrecht Sun 26-Jun-11 12:40:24

I had a baby who slipped off with lansinoh (why is it so hard to spell!) We didn't have a great latch to begin with and my nipples got damaged on the inside so I had 10-20 secs of tear inducing pain as they stretched down his mouth. Also meant he wasn't removing milk well enough so I got deep breast pain on one side too.

Going to support groups and practicing helped so much - ie taking him off and on again if it continued to hurt as he would just be doing more damage. Think he also just needed to grow a bigger mouth too. Got easier by 6 wks and still going strong at 11 months.

You can get this sorted I'm sure if you can find the right support (search here)

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sun 26-Jun-11 17:03:28

I had the pain of not being able to bear anything on my breasts with my DD at the same age. Soft fleece felt comfy btw- against the underside when she was feeding. I put spring green leaves in my bra (all I had, but close to cabbage) and the pain went that night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now