Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and an INSATIABLE sweet tooth :s

(16 Posts)
wobblyweeble82 Fri 24-Jun-11 17:19:54

Anybody else suffering with this one? I've been breastfeeding DD for 5 weeks now and with every day, my cravings for all things sugar and spice is stepping up a gear. I even had two meringue nests before blush Is this normal? How can I quell my cravings? Never had anything like this with DS ... Its all I can think about!

choccybox Fri 24-Jun-11 17:31:33

Yip I'm the same. However DS is 5 months and still struggling to not eat a mars bar when up feeding at 4am!!

I have started having lots of fruit to try and get the sweetness without the masses of calories but still struggle.

Remember breastfeeding burns an extra 200 cals..... now how many in a mars bar grin

EauRouge Fri 24-Jun-11 17:31:42

I don't know how normal it is but you can add me to the group grin I should have bought shares in Cadbury's before DD2 was born. I think if you are trying hard to eat a wide range of stuff then it's OK, everything in moderation. I'm still getting my 5-a-day as well as probably too much some chocolate. The only things you need to go easy on are things with caffeine and alcohol in them.

Paschaelina Fri 24-Jun-11 17:49:09

It's only just starting to ease for me 9.5 months on, now Boy has dropped a feed. There was a time where no chocolate in the house was A national disaster but not so much now.

I still managed to lose all the baby weight and more even eating like a horse, and that was without too much exercise.

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 24-Jun-11 18:55:36

There was a newspaper article detailing a study (which I can't find on google sorry) that stated that due to the sweetness of breastmilk that we seek to replace this in the quickest way possible. Such as by reaching for the next packet of jaffa cakes, <eats jaffa cake> it's all scientific you know.

It was put on here actually thats how I found out about it.

wobblyweeble82 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:00:24

That'll do Tribble! I can reel that one off when DH is raising a brow at my stood at an open fridge with my hand on my hip doing the 'Oooh, what do I fancy' face ... It is ridiculous thoush. I'm still taking a pregnacare multivit at the mo as my diet isnt quite there yet - still get pregnancy fads that haven't quite faded so I'm happy DD will be getting the good stuff. I just don't want to end up with an arse the size of the rock of Gibraltar ...

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:06:22

I'm adding to the list of sweet addicts..... Can't stop baking just to eat the cake mixture and then the cake! Not helpful when trying to loose weight for a wedding!!

MadderHat Fri 24-Jun-11 21:15:51

It's not just me then! Thank you!!!!

theborrower Fri 24-Jun-11 21:37:57

Been there, done that, got the wobbly tummy to prove it smile

Apparently there is a good biological reason for it though, remember reading it in the Doctor section of The Guardian. Something about needing to replace calories and energy quickly and craving sweet stuff is the quickest way to do it.

Four4me Fri 24-Jun-11 21:52:49

Love this thread! Jaffa cakes to start, mini Battenburg, dc's party bag sweeties, Phish food ice cream to finish. That's just tonight! <wanders back to kitchen cupboards> ho hum will deal with addiction tomorrow!

HumptyDumpty1 Fri 24-Jun-11 22:04:40

Four4me you have now got me craving ben and jerry's......Damn u morrisons closing early!!

wobblyweeble82 Fri 24-Jun-11 22:22:35

Tonight I have been nibbling on Green and Blacks Butterscotch ... Swoooooon ..

I take it it doesn't to our babbies any harm? I'm not going to end up having a child who wants Carnation on her corn flakes am I?

flippyfloppy Fri 24-Jun-11 22:24:22

Me too! I've never had a sweet tooth, always been a savoury girl myself! DS is 4 weeks old and EBF, and I am now a regular in our local Thorntons. I'm going through packets of their special toffee and after every meal I need something sweet to finish off, DH even made a trip to the garage the other night to get me a family size bar of Cadbury Caramel. I thought I was comfort eating, glad to know there is a biological reason for it and it is perfectly justified!

ninedragons Fri 24-Jun-11 22:28:49

This really caught me by surprise - I never used to have a sweet tooth and could quite happily go for six months without bothering with chocolate. Now I can scarf down half a family block in seconds.

MarisCrane Fri 24-Jun-11 22:29:19

Ha I'm literally eating a Jaffa cake right now! DS is 5 months and this last week my hunger has reached new levels of ravenous-ness-ness - I ate a whole pack of shortbread fingers on Wednesday and feel very guilty blush
I suppose he's taking a lot of milk right now; I'm losing weight slowly but haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks. I'll do it in the morning and I fully expect to have piled on the pounds (just like DS!)

PelvicFloor0fSteel Fri 24-Jun-11 22:32:21

I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper here and say although there is a biological reason for it, eating loads of sweet stuff isn't a brilliant plan. Our biological urges evolved long before 24 hour garages and cake! With DS1 I totally indulged the 'if I want it I must need it' approach and didn't lose any weight until he was nearly 2 (and then got pregnant again).
I've been a lot more sensible this time round, the less you give in to them the less cravings you get. It's slow, as I'm still having more sweet stuff than I should, but the pregnancy weight is shifting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now