Talk

Advanced search

Problems with bf 6 months in

(13 Posts)
beatofthedrum Wed 22-Jun-11 17:25:56

I've bf my ds since birth despite numerous problems (mastitis, torn nipples, blood in his possets and his poos). I love feeding him and would have no desire to stop until he is weaned to cows' milk. Fed my dd until she was 16 months.
Had serious problems 2 months ago with blood in ds's system which was very worrying, agonisingly painful feeds, bleeding nipples etc. Got lots of help on here as well as RL help - turned out was not thrush etc, was obviously latch as changing to rugby grip for 2 weeks solved the problem.
Two months on, ds is becoming 'rougher' when feeding, but my dd must also have been like that with no ill effect. He's just sicked up blood for first time in ages, I've looked down and nipple is torn open. For last week have been airing it, using lansinoh after every feed, varying position etc. I feel LOW.
I can go back to expressing off that side, but is major faff requiring planning and time that I don't really have with 3 yr old and 6 month old.
My choices seem to be:
- express for the time being, vary position once it's healed up a bit and try to find a way of continuing
- OR feed from the good side only. Going to start BLW very soon. Would I have enough to feed only from one side or should I consider mixed feeding, using formula for alternate feeds? Have never considered formula before tbh. But ds socking up blood is hellish and he has been ebf for his first 6 months, which was non-negotiable for me (obv because my bf problems didn't prevent this, understand totally many don't have this choice).
To clarify what I'm asking - would feeding from one side alongside BLW require formula feeds too? TIA

peanutdream Wed 22-Jun-11 18:13:41

hello smile

It IS possible to feed off one side, but I don't know if that requires doing that from the beginning to make sure the one boob makes the full supply so I'm not sure. The bfing will diminish throughout the next six months anyway as your LO eats more so it might work although I'd imagine you'd have to express to keep the other side comfortable.

As for the mixed feeding - up to you entirely grin.

Concerning the bleeding nipple - is it a lot of blood? What happened?

japhrimel Wed 22-Jun-11 19:28:05

Your supply would adjust, but you might end up engorged on one side and/or lopsided.

Would using a nipple shield temporarily help? I did in the early days to give my nipples a break when really sore.

beatofthedrum Wed 22-Jun-11 19:43:48

Thanks for answering. Enough blood to colour his sick red and darken his poo...they were black beforesad. Nipple shields a good idea, I used them last time and they did help a bit.

beatofthedrum Thu 23-Jun-11 13:50:31

Other side has now burst open and I've just fed him his first bottle of formula. We're both crying. Think he maybe doesn't like it, or can maybe feel my tension (unsurprisingly!!)sad

Cosmosis Thu 23-Jun-11 13:53:02

Oh you poor thing sad I’ve seen people on here recommend jelonet (jelnet?) on here to help healing, I think it’s a burns treatement. And nippleshields definitely.

peanutdream Thu 23-Jun-11 16:00:38

oh beatofthedrum sad you poor thing!? what is he doing to burst your nipples open? (i did look it up in my jack newman book and he says blood in milk/stools/sick is not necessarily a problem?! i don't know what to suggest - what a nightmare for you! can you go and see someone to see about adjusting his latch again?

beatofthedrum Thu 23-Jun-11 18:50:09

He is just such a rough little feeder - jerks about, clamps down (though don't all babies?) and he has an extremely strong suck, his feeds take minutes.
Thank you so much for info and advice. I believe you are right about blood in his system not being a health problem - we took him to paediatric a+e last time in panic and they traced the source and said not to worry - but it has got to a much worse stage this time, and it just doesn't feel nice 'feeding' him blood..
However am upstairs feeding him just now. Prepared formula and offered it to him calmly calmly and he screamed madly and refused. So have had to feed him (saw stars when he latched on!)
Will buy jelonet and nipple shields tomorrow and hope for progress.

peanutdream Fri 24-Jun-11 09:49:23

yeah some of them can be pretty rough. some people find that stopping the feed when they starts being rough helps to set a boundary of sorts? he'll be sure to let you know if he wants more a bit later when he is in a more focused mood? the little monkey!

beatofthedrum Fri 24-Jun-11 19:06:46

Thank you peanutdream, cosmosis and japh, things much better today. No formula attempts (think was temporary low point), been feeding lying down which is much less painful, and now using nipple shields which seem good. Thanks for advice and sympathysmile. He did a big green poo which although not great filled me with delight as I'd been dreading black. I think things are on the upsmile.

Cosmosis Fri 24-Jun-11 19:14:17

glad things are looking better smile

peanutdream Fri 24-Jun-11 21:13:34

good news beatofthedrum grin nice...

spiderlight Fri 24-Jun-11 22:06:02

Bless you. Glad things are better today. If it helps, I've fed one-sided for over 4 years after DS decided he didn't like my right breast any more at about 3/4 months and it's been fine - EBF to 6 months without a problem (other than Laurel and Hardy breasts for a bit!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now