Talk

Advanced search

Sorry of this has been done to death - how much milk does a 12mth old need?

(4 Posts)
UnrequitedSkink Tue 21-Jun-11 21:02:15

DS has recently stopped bf and is now on cow's milk, and he (rather gallingly) adores his bottle. He's having 4 x 7oz bottles a day and finishing the lot almost every time - is this too much? His poo has gone a rather strange pale colour and is sort of runny!

Also, should he be having the milk from a cup? Not sure if he'd do his bedtime bottle from a cup but isn't it better for his teeth?

Thanks

Seona1973 Tue 21-Jun-11 21:15:25

a minimum of 350mls (approx 12oz) is recommended from 1 year. You could try offering the daytime feeds from a cup (would help cut intake) while keeping am and pm ones in the bottle. Once he gets used to the cup during the day you could switch the last 2 into the cup too.

RitaMorgan Tue 21-Jun-11 21:44:12

I would do as Seona suggests - I'm slowly swapping breastfeeds for cow's milk at the moment and am going to cups for the daytime. Make sure you brush his teeth after his bedtime bottle, and don't put him down in his cot with it.

4 7oz bottles does sound like rather a lot though, and much more than he'd have been having of breastmilk I should think.

UnrequitedSkink Tue 21-Jun-11 22:17:23

I know! He's not even a particularly big baby, 25th centile or thereabouts. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for the advice, I'll switch to a cup in the daytime from tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now