Talk

Advanced search

First Days Breastfeeding, help/support needed please.

(10 Posts)
midori1999 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:19:50

I had my daughter yesterday afternoon. I had gestational diabetes so her blood sugars were being monitored until this morning and were fine, so she must be getting some colostrum.

However, in between feeds she is very fractious, sometimes after a feed and she doesn't seem full/contented at all most of the time. She's feeding at least every three hours, usually around 30-40 mins a time, but this afternoon she's been feeding almost constantly for a couple of hours and yet still doesn't seem contented. she needs to be cuddled/comforted/quieted constantly in between feeds and won't really settle at all.

If all this is normal then that's fine, I just can't remember my other newborns being like this and I'm worried she may not be latching properly or something. One of the midwives checked her latch yesterday and said it was good and was helpful, different midwife today not so helpful. It is uncomfortable when she feeds, but not very so I assumed that was normal, especially as when I've exclusively expressed before I got the same discomfort initially. She does sometimes unlatch during feeds but does get latched back on again and she doesn't seem frustrated during feeds, she sucks for a bit, rests a bit, sucks a bit more etc.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, I am tired and overwhelmed and in hospital on my DHs phone. I suppose I just really wanted some reassurance this is normal or someone to say it's not and give some advice.

listentothemusic Tue 21-Jun-11 19:22:37

Totally normal, both of mine were exactly like this.

Congratulations on your new DD.

mummynoseynora Tue 21-Jun-11 19:25:20

sounds like second night syndrome to me? both mine were unsettled / wanted to feed constantly then doze off only to wake as if starved the whole night long on the second night
I was under the impression its because they are trying to help your milk come in, so try and prepare yourself for a long night and be kind to yourself smile

congratulations!

GreenTeapot Tue 21-Jun-11 19:25:51

It does sound normal. Some babies are really sleepy at first, some seem to be wakeful and sensitive. The long feeds with pauses are also normal. It sounds like you are doing really, really well. Congratulations smile

TittyBojangles Tue 21-Jun-11 19:58:49

It does sound like it could be normal tbh, but if you are worried about the feeding could you see a bf counsellor while you are still in to have a look at your feeding? And just keep your DD close to you and feed at every little squeak. Things will most probably improve once your milk comes in... though I know that's not much comfort now.

Congratulations on your DD, I'm so so pleased for you and your family smile

Islandgirllk Tue 21-Jun-11 20:03:13

This sounds normal to me. I would say be prepared in the first month to be feeding most of the time day and night. If you have a good latch (and are not getting sore) she will be fine. Babies cry not just for hunger. She is needing to be close to you. Try a nice cuddle and a little finger in her mouth if you think she can't be hungry and see if it calms her. The more she feeds the greater your milk supply and babies are very clever at being able to regulate this. Good luck. Oh and my two children were quite different feeders as well.

trixie123 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:17:10

sounds pretty typical of both of mine. DS was also monitored for low blood sugar due to GD and was given formula down in the SCBU so I mix fed which worked well for us. Milk took a week to come in and I do think he would have been ravenous had I not supplemented with formula. Have gone down this route with DD also. It really shouldn't hurt to BF so when you get out contact a BF counsellor (my HV team were really fantastic on this). Best of luck and congrats on your newborn

chloeb2002 Tue 21-Jun-11 22:06:14

sometimes i wish madwives would just tell people a few simple guidelines.....
1/ breast fed babies ideally feed on demand.. that can mean pretty much non stop...
2/ babies do cry... some quite alot... this isn't because you are a bad mother/ ate curry/ chocolate / had a coffee/ jumped around too much..... most likely that bub is adapting to disgesting breast milk... babies are not born with lactase to digest it ( no babies have this) it often takes uo to 10 .... yes 12 weeks before they have sufficient enzymes to really to a good feed justice... and not get collicy/ grumpy/ scream/ yell... kick... etc...
3/ Your ARE a legend for giving you bub the best start in life.... enjoy... the screaming, crying, and demanding is all soooo worth it in the end .. especially when you dont have to carry around bottles, you get to hod your bub close, bond and enjoy time with them with out being pre occupied whist multi tasking...
enjoy.. you sound like you are ding just great!!!!

midori1999 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:52:32

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!! I can't put into words how much better I feel.

Baby was awake again most of last night and it does make sense she may have tummy ache or similar. All the midwives (and I know that they don't always have the best advice on BF anyway) had written on the notes baby was BF well, but then twice when new shifts came on the new midwife asked if she was feeding better now 'as the midwives had said she was upset/struggling' etc. I didn't feel like she was struggling with the actual feeding and I admit it made me question myself.

I managed a few hours sleep this morning and when I fed the baby she was trying to look at me properly for the first time and I even had a little cry. She is so amazing and I just want what is best for her. It was beautiful to feed her and although I know we're both still learning and there'll be ups and downs, I feel much more sure of myself and positive now too. My milk is starting to come in too, which will hopefully make things easier.

Thankyou!

TittyBojangles Wed 22-Jun-11 22:00:44

I couldn't be happier for your Midori, you have been through so much. I hope you can all enjoy this time together. Well done. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now