Talk

Advanced search

Oral Thrush

(4 Posts)
cowboylover Sun 19-Jun-11 19:24:20

My 3 week old is EBF and the HV said she had oral thrush so given Nystatin (sp) and me Daktarin gel but I don't know if that's the right stuff?
She's finished her course but I'm still using the gel but its very sticky and I think its making a difference to her feeding. Anyone else come across this?

Also I am planning a night out in a month so want to start expressing to have some for her by then. Do I need to wait till the trush has cleared up or will it be ok to do it now?

Thanks in advance

RitaMorgan Sun 19-Jun-11 20:51:19

If you google Breastfeeding Network's thrush leaflet, it's really helpful.

Has the thrush cleared up? Nystatin often isn't very effective, and the oral gel isn't really designed to work on skin either. I found gel for the baby's mouth and canestan cream for my nipples worked very quickly. The Breastfeeding Network leaflet goes into more detail about treatment though - it's probably a good idea to print it out and take it to the GP to ensure you get the right treatment.

It's possible expressed milk could reinfect her with thrush, so best to wait til it's cleared up first.

SarahScot Sun 19-Jun-11 21:45:45

I got daktarin oral gel for DD and daktarin cream for my nipples, thrush cleared up in about 4 days.

japhrimel Mon 20-Jun-11 22:36:47

You can't keep EBM until the thrush has definitely cleared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now