Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I can do to prepare my nipples for breastfeeding?

(3 Posts)
Jojay Sat 18-Jun-11 21:47:37

I successfully bfed DS1 and 2, but both times I had sore cracked nipples to start with.

With Ds1 I didn't know what I was doing so that was obviously a factor, but DS2 fed well from the start, yet I still had sore nips.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the latch, it just took a while to get used to it again.

I'm now expecting twins in the next month or so , and I'm conscious that my boobs will take double the punishment!

Will applying Lansinoh now help? Or is there anything else I can do to prepare for it?

bumbums Sat 18-Jun-11 21:53:11

I don't know of anything you can do to prepare your boobs. I think the pain comes from very tiny sucking mouths and the length of time speant feeding. Things seem to get more comfortable around about 9 weeks.
Good luck to you.

japhrimel Sun 19-Jun-11 08:20:26

I don't think there's much that can be done now. They can't be toughened up.

Cracks aren'y inevitable - I had tons of help with latching as DD had so many problems at first after her SCBU start and my nipples never cracked despite marathon feeding sessions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now