Talk

Advanced search

Breast to bottle cold turkey - help please!

(8 Posts)
Madinitials Sat 18-Jun-11 21:02:48

My 4 mo DS is EBF and I have been trying to introduce the bottle for weeks but he takes a couple of ounces then ends up back on the breast. I decided to go cold turkey and gave him a last breastfeed at 6am this morning and have managed not do offer him the breast all day. I don't have much expressed milk left so have been mixing it with formula and he has only taken a total of 9 ounces all day. I've fed him in my lap, facing away from me, in BF position, in his chair, my friend has tried and he refuses to take a whole bottle.

I originally wanted to just breaftfeed him at night but now I'm scared to do that tonight as we'll have to start all over again tomorrow from scratch - would be the case? He's really cross at the moment and is usually asleep by now.

Any advice gratefully received.

girliefriend Sat 18-Jun-11 21:19:59

Your post has made me feel a bit sad, do you want to stop bfing or just cut down and mix feed?

I think going cold turkey is a little bit mean for a 4mo who is probably hungry and confused now!!!

My advice would be to have a routine for when you feed and introduce a bottle for one of those feeds. Probably the bedtime or evening feed first and then if you want to slowly drop some of the other day time feeds. If you are consistant and don't resort to giving a bf he will eventually take the bottle.

thinking about it you must be feeling really full and sore if you have suddenly just stopped bfing!!!

japhrimel Sun 19-Jun-11 08:25:54

Ditto to the above!

I'd also say that if you're going to try and keep refusing the breast in this situation, you need to get some medical advice about when it could become risky. Your LO could be getting dehydrated and is probably very hungry. sad

Madinitials Sun 19-Jun-11 08:39:58

Found out he was cross because he was tired and with a cuddle, went to sleep 10 minutes after my post. He had been sleeping hard all day and the only time I remembered him doing this before was when he had tongue tie and was not getting enough milk so at 1am when I was feeling desperately guilty, I got up and put him to the breast.

Girliefriend my post makes ME sad! I want to bottle feed during the day and breast feed if he wakes up in the night but he's not interested in me replacing one feed at a time, which is why I was trying cold turkey instead. I was thinking that he'd rather take a bottle than nothing.

Has anyone been successful with cold turkey?

japhrimel Sun 19-Jun-11 08:42:05

Are you going back to work soon and that's why you want to drop daytime feeds?

stripygiraffe Sun 19-Jun-11 08:48:06

Don't think it matters why she wants to stop the bfs.

With regards to cold turkey - I did it with DD and it was fine but she was a lazy feeder so the bottle was easier for her.

Is the teat flow fast enough for your lo?

Madinitials Sun 19-Jun-11 08:55:00

X posts.

I'm using the variflow teats with a Tommee Tippee bottle, I have already tried Avent and a squeezy Nuby bottle.

Stripygiraffe how old was your DD when you did it and how long did it take?

stripygiraffe Sun 19-Jun-11 09:01:16

Mad my DD was only 3 weeks and was not getting on with bf at all so the switch was instant as she was so relieved. Sorry quite different to you.
Good luck it must be so hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now