Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotic help please

(6 Posts)
lucyleonard84 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:43:37

Hi

Just had our first baby on the 8th, he is doing really well. He was a bit of a big baby when born and the hospital was topping him up on bottles with forumla as i didnt have enough milk, he kind of got attatched to the bottle and would not breastfeed so i went out anfd got the best pump i could and have been pumping about 6 times a day since.

today i went to get dischanrged with little baby Jake, he was discharged, i however was not..

I had stiches after birth and its now a little infected, they have given me cream and flucloxacillin, they said its safe for breastfeeding but im not so sure and do not want Jake to ingest this throuhg my milk. Im thinking of just continuing to express for the 7 days and just throw it away and give him formula for a week, then continue him with breastmilk next week, does anyone see a problem with this?

I was so happy to be providing him milk but now this is upsetting me a little.

Thanks

Lucy

crikeybadger Sat 18-Jun-11 19:19:57

It's fine, see the link here

Hope you feel better soon - don't forget that you can up your supply by feeding more frequently, Jake's size shouldn't mean that you can't make enough milk for him. Just keep feeding, feeding, feeding and your supply will increase to meet his demand.

Good luck.

lucyleonard84 Sat 18-Jun-11 21:07:50

Hi thanks for the info appriciated..

I have heard people on this drug even though they say its ok, saying babys up all night crying and diarrhea in nappies etc etc, im just thinking if it MAY effect my little one would a week off be better than me taking that risk...

I know dr's say this and that is ok but like with most drugs they say are ok there are side effects.. he is too precious for me to put through that..

I may sound silly and im not contridicting your answer at all i really appricicate the time you took to respond. Im just trying to be sure..

TruthSweet Sat 18-Jun-11 21:12:34

Lucy - You try contacting the Drugs in Breastmilk helpline for more information. Contact details here.

crikeybadger Sat 18-Jun-11 21:15:59

No that's fine Lucy- I understand. smile

The info comes from the Breastfeeding Network website. Truthsweet has given you their helpline number, so it might be a good idea to call them and chat it through with the pharmacist.

Hope you get things sorted.

japhrimel Sun 19-Jun-11 08:27:18

Formula could also cause digestive issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now