Talk

Advanced search

Expressing... where to start?

(8 Posts)
jessi0343 Sat 18-Jun-11 16:21:52

I have a 4 week old dd, and breastfeeding is going well - she feeds every 2-3 hours for about 20-30 mins. I would like to try to start expressing so that my husband can give her a bottle every now and then, but I'm not sure how to even start. When do I express? After a feed or before? And how will this affect my milk supply?
Any advice of how to begin?

flickor Sat 18-Jun-11 16:47:33

i started expressing at five weeks. i use a tomme tippee manual pump.

the best time to express is in the morning, normally at ten thirty. DD asleep. I tend to use one boobie with pump and leave one side alone if dd needs it. everyone will express different amounts. me about 30-40 mls some people can feed baby and pump - never been able to do this.

relax while expressing -i tend to express for about ten-twenty mins. Drink lots of water. it has not altered my milk supply. Just go for it - you might prefer an electric pump and express loads. good luck,

jessi0343 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:27:19

Thanks! Very helpful

sc2987 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:53:49

The thing is, breastmilk has different compositions at different times of day. So if you give them day milk at nighttime it might keep them awake (less prolactin). So I'm never sure how valuable expressing for this reason is, as the milk should really be given at the same time of day it's expressed, which means you would be pumping while he is giving it anyway!

japhrimel Sun 19-Jun-11 08:29:01

For the odd bottle, it really doesn't matter!

If you express at roughly the same time of day on most days, your supply will adjust.

wobblyweeble82 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:49:40

Jessi - my dd is almost 5 weeks and I'm wanting to do the same but she outright refuses the bottle!! Have you had a similar experience? Or is it just my little monkey?!

crazybutterflylady Mon 20-Jun-11 16:06:15

I'm watching this thread with interest since my DD is 4 weeks old now and I am waiting till 6 weeks before I express so I don't mess with supply/demand. If the milk is different at night and day couldn't I just note N and D on the expressed bags and try to feed at the appropriate time?

I haven't got a clue where to start with expressing, nor which pump to buy!

But I think it will help if I can take a bottle of expressed milk when we go out since there isn't always an opportunity to feed her and it stresses me out worrying about when she is going to next want food.

Any help appreciated!

wobblyweeble82 Tue 21-Jun-11 09:26:22

I had a chat with my health visitor (who has a one year old babbier herself) yesterday and she couldn't sing the praises enough of the 'Breastflow' bottle. It looks good when you read the blurb on it so I've ebayed one and I shall report back with my views and opinions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now