Talk

Advanced search

Bottle fed 14 week old feeding loads!

(13 Posts)
alitesneeze Sat 18-Jun-11 00:42:10

ds 14 weeks feeds pretty much every hour and a half. He gets 180mls of aptamil. He has reflux but keeps most of it down. I see near enough every hour on the clock at night and I'm starting to go insane! Does this sound right?

Ps he won't take a dummy and I have tried settling him in other ways but he wants fed. I can't really up the quantity of milk because of the reflux. He goes down at about 8 and gets up around midnight and that's the longest he ever goes between feeds. (that was a long ps!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-Jun-11 08:37:27

Don't know the answer sorry but wondered if you'd found this thread.

Really feel for you though, you must be so tired.

AlpinePony Sat 18-Jun-11 13:52:34

180 ten times a day is an enormous amount! Can you talk to a hv? Is he having any water? Or do you mean he's just hungry and unsettled at night?

Fwiw at that age my son was having 7 bottles a day of 150 at that age.

colditz Sat 18-Jun-11 13:54:03

Ds1 fed that much. Just feed him what he wants.

And I know this is an unpopular view, but how much did he weigh at birth and was he late?

colditz Sat 18-Jun-11 13:55:13

It was at 14 weeks that he realy went nuts on the milk, until then he had slept through.

Reader, I'm afraid I took the only professional advice available to me in 2003 and weaned him at 17 weeks.

colditz Sat 18-Jun-11 13:56:24

PS do you have a partner? Do one night on and one night off with your partner. It will not kill him to let you get some sleep and it will make a massive difference to how you cope.

alitesneeze Sat 18-Jun-11 17:21:18

Thanks jilted I have seen the thread but must confess I keep putting off reading it as it is so dauntingly long blush

alpine he is hungry all the time at night. I should mention he goes from 8am - 11am without a feed so he has 2 long breaks in 24 hours (So that makes it like 9 bottles a day - big difference eh?!)

colditz he was 10lbs 3 when he was born (and was a few days late) but also had pyloric stenosis so between that and the reflux he has never been a big baby again since. He is now about 14lbs 7. I am in 2 minds whether to wean at 17 weeks as I have spoken to some mums who said their refluxy babies then just puked actual vomit instead of baby vomit. I was considering hungry baby milk for through the night. Am going to ask dh to take him tonight while I sleep in the spare room grin

4madboys Sat 18-Jun-11 17:29:30

well if he was big at birth but has struggled with weigh gain due to the reflux maybe he is just trying to catch up if he is genetically enclined to be big?

it does sound a lot, my dd is 6mth and has 5 bottles of that amount! but she is a big girl, already over 18lb, tho dinky compared to my boys who were that size at 12wks! but big for a girl iyswim?

it could just be a bit of a growth spurt, does he associate the milk with sleeping tho?

alitesneeze Sat 18-Jun-11 21:28:29

He does tend to fall asleep while being fed and I feed him just before his nap too in the hope that he'll sleep longer with a full tummy (the baby whisperer would so not approve of my baby rearing strategies!!)

colditz Sun 19-Jun-11 23:46:30

He's trying to catch himself up, mate, don't worry. Make your husband help you.

alitesneeze Tue 21-Jun-11 09:28:07

Thanks colditz I think that is what he is doing - am hoping he is caugt up soon! DH took him the last couple of nights so I feel a bit more refreshed (and able to deal with 2 yo dd who has 12 hours sleep a night and wakes up full of beans!)

Cheeseandbiscuits Tue 21-Jun-11 19:31:27

It sounds about right to me. Babies with pyloric stenosis go through a huge catch up period...just feed him up. Glad your DH is helping out.

My DD is 16 weeks and at 14 weeks she had a huge growth spurt..Demanded 180ml or more of milk 6-7times per day. Could be a combo of the 2? It lasted 2 weeks and now she sleeps through the night and is back on 150ml - 180ml 5 x per day

alitesneeze Wed 22-Jun-11 06:06:28

I was thinking (hoping?!)it might be a growth spurt and he might start to drop a few feeds soon. When I was looking at him yesterday evening he looked like he had doubled in size overnight grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now