Talk

Advanced search

7 week old pulling off the breast and crying after feeding

(6 Posts)
inatrance Fri 17-Jun-11 23:58:33

Sorry about the dud post, trying out mn chat app is my first post.

My ds is 7 weeks today and for the last week or so he has been constantly pulling off the breast and crying more than usual even after feeds. It's starting to make my nipples really sore and I'm worrying that he's not getting enough. He was ebf until he was 3 weeks but now also has a bottle of formula during the night from dh... And takes 7oz!

I can only express 2-3 oz at a time max and am concerned that he is still hungry, as he doesn't seem sleepy and satisfied like he did before?

Also he still feeds really frequently usually every 2 or so hours but today, particularly this eve he has been on every 1/2 hr - 1hrs.

Any help appreciated, I just don't know why he's so unsettled and dh saying (helpfully) that he is hungry every time he cries isn't doing my confidence any good.

Janoschi Sat 18-Jun-11 00:11:00

Watching this with interest. My DD is 6 weeks old tomorrow and has started doing the same since last night. I'm feeding every hour too and like yours she screams every time she pulls off. She only feeds for a few minutes. It seems to have coincided with a big developmental leap - yesterday she really started smiling, lifting her head and generally being a lot more aware. Is it the same for you?

Albrecht Sat 18-Jun-11 14:15:52

There is a growth spurt approx 6 weeks which can mean they feed more to stimulate your supply. Just letting them feed as often as they want is the best thing to do, its temporary and should settle down again (perhaps into some new pattern).

If he has both breasts, offer him the first one again. You still have milk even if they feel soft. Breastmilk is easily digested so they might be hungry again so quickly or they might just want to be close to you - the world is still pretty new and possibly overwhelming for them.

Have you tried burping a bit in to the feed? Ds used to squirm and pull off often because he had a big burp stuck in there.

And expressing is no indication of how much the baby gets as they are much better than a pump at getting milk out. Most people have to express atleast twice to get enough for one feed.

orchidee Sat 18-Jun-11 20:55:00

Same here for the past few days, I put it down to the 6 week growth spurt. Feeding beautifully and calmly overnight and in the morning then lots of cluster feeding during the afternoon and evening, seems like non-stop feeding, and some crying, tugging and pulling away while feeding and being generally unsettled and overtired but unable to sleep.

I hope it's just temporary. The early days seem like non-stop growth spurts.

I'm wondering whether expressing may be helpful. I don't know, maybe it'd help up my supply? Does anyone know how quickly milk supply reacts to increased or decreased demand?

orchidee Sat 18-Jun-11 20:56:37

Ditto about the developmental leap

inatrance Sat 18-Jun-11 23:18:05

Thanks for the advice, he seems a bit more settled this evening so I'm hoping it was maybe a growth / developmental spurt. We do have a different problem with poo also but that's a separate thread! grin

He still pulls off the breast but is crying less today. We went out in the car for a bit and he's been much more chilled since we got back hurrah!

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now