Talk

Advanced search

Bf and fluoxetine

(8 Posts)
Fontsnob Fri 17-Jun-11 16:08:56

Hi, is anyone taking fluoxetine whilst bf? Doctor prescribed it as okay for bf. But I am reading the pamphlet and it says not to take whilst bf. Hmm. I am now a tad confused.

TruthSweet Fri 17-Jun-11 16:53:31

Fontsnob - Does this help?

Or if this, specifically this? You can contact Wendy Jones through the Drugs in Breastmilk phoneline/email and get information on your specific situation too.

TruthSweet Fri 17-Jun-11 16:54:16

Sorry, too many specifics blush

Fontsnob Fri 17-Jun-11 17:26:17

Thank you for the specific information. :-) it does help as one of the publications mentions that the effects are said to not effect infants over 4 months, dd is 9 months. Thank you.

TruthSweet Fri 17-Jun-11 17:51:17

It was very specific wasn't it! I definitely recommend contacting Wendy Jones if you need more help/info on fluoxetine (I'm not suggesting you do or don't take the meds just showing you the data in case I get my wrists slapped!)

mooloo Fri 17-Jun-11 19:05:52

I have just bf for 6 months on 20mg of Fluoxetine a day. Cleared by a consultant and have a happy healthy dd.

Fontsnob Fri 17-Jun-11 22:08:54

Thanks mooloo. It always throws me a bit when I get conflicting advice between the doctor and the instructions on the medication!

TruthSweet Fri 17-Jun-11 23:01:25

Fontsnob - IIRC is because the manufacturers would have to fund research into bfing mums before stating it was safe so put a disclaimer on the leaflet. If the Dr is prescribing a drug for a bfing mother s/he is taking the risk if something goes wrong it's their license on the line so they really do trust the independent research/case studies that the drug is safe or that the benefits of bfing outweigh the risks of the drug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now