Talk

Advanced search

How can I very gently persuade DS that he doesn't need ALL his calories during the night?

(6 Posts)
mololoko Thu 16-Jun-11 10:49:11

DS is 14 weeks and EBF. For the last week or two he is really hard to feed during the day, won't feed unless we're at home on his special cushion or lying down in bed. Then he'll feed about 3 hourly. Out and about he latches on does a couple of sucks and then refuses - lies there screaming with my nipple hanging out to make sure eveybody looks round and staresat me <sigh>

However, at night he's feeding every hour and a half! It's not too bad because I cosleep and just have to roll over every so often but I would like some reassurance that he will, at some point, start to go a bit longer at night without feeding. Is there anything I can do to gently encourage it?

He point blank refuses a bottle to can't tank him up with a dreamfeed.

I'm hoiping someone will come along and tell me this is normal for this age and it will pass!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Jun-11 10:54:35

Will he feed in a sling for you moloko?

mololoko Thu 16-Jun-11 11:27:43

he spends a lot of time in a moby, but I have big saggy boobs and have never managed to feed other than using both hands. Not a lot of success iof feeding in the sling - managed it once! I do have a babsling somewhere, maybe I should dig that out and give it a go?

CamperFan Thu 16-Jun-11 13:59:13

moloko, I found/find it easier to just work around DS2's feeds as he is the same wrt feeding only at home/lying down. But then I have a DS1/preschool runs, etc so my life is more restricted - is he your first? Now he's nearly 8 months so having far fewer feeds during the day; once he had been weaned onto solids for a while, I was able to feed every 3/4 hours in the day rather than every 2. Now I feed him first thing, mid morning, mid afternoon and before bed, so it leaves us plenty of time to get out for a couple of hours.

We had a few bad weeks of feeding every 2 hours or so at night, around weeks 12-16. Months 5-7, 2 feeds at night. Last week or so, generally one feed at night!

I guess no advice, but I am just saying that it's a relatively short period of time that you are restricted for and it does go quickly. And the nights - I haven't done anything to change his behaviour, it is (thankfully) just improving gradually as the weeks go by.

Albrecht Thu 16-Jun-11 14:13:41

Have you tried feeding when sleepy, before or after a nap. Worked really well for us.

mololoko Thu 16-Jun-11 17:30:39

Thanks folks. Will try sleepy feeding. I have dd too so he does have to fit in round her.

I am grateful that he sleeps all evening and goes straight back to sleep after a feed at night (at the moment!).

He seems quite happy and tubby so I'll go with it for now. I actually quite enjoy the snuggly night feeds but don't want to create bad habits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now