Talk

Advanced search

New Gabrielle Palmer Book (author of "The Politics of Breastfeeding")

(24 Posts)
organiccarrotcake Wed 15-Jun-11 14:44:03

www.pinterandmartin.com/product/Complementary_Feeding%3A_Nutrition%2C_Culture_and_Politics_978-1-905177-42-4

If you've not read The Politics of Breastfeeding, buy it now. Whether you EBF, EFF, anything in between or don't even have a baby, this book should be read by all.

Anyway, she's now written another book which is about to be released and can be bought directly from the publishers. Enter code CF25 to get a 25% discount if you're an ABM member ( abm.me.uk/ )

TruthSweet Wed 15-Jun-11 15:09:32

I have already ordered mine grin

organiccarrotcake Wed 15-Jun-11 15:11:22

Thought you might have grin

TruthSweet Wed 15-Jun-11 17:48:57

I'm nothing if not predictable

TittyBojangles Wed 15-Jun-11 18:03:37

Oooooh, just ordered, can't wait for it to arrive!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Jun-11 18:07:39

You're that alright Truth grin

Zimm Wed 15-Jun-11 18:43:13

Hmm would love to read but is it likely induce mass shame in me for using ella's kitchen an awful lot of the time occasionally to wean DD? Loved Politic of BF.

CamperFan Wed 15-Jun-11 19:53:33

Ha ha ha Zimm, you might be right there. I'm reading Politics of BF now, very uncomfortable reading.

TruthSweet Wed 15-Jun-11 20:04:51

Reading PoB was at times like being gently roasted over an open fire whilst having my eyes peeled back. Not the most pleasant experience but well worth it I thought.

I fully expect Complementary Feeding to be similar smile

Is that predictable enough for you JJJ? wink

Moulesfrites Wed 15-Jun-11 20:12:22

Just ordered mine - although I have similar worries to Zimm - havent started weaning yet but have already bought some Ella's pouches in preparation blush. They were on offer in Waitrose tbf!

I was absolutely blown away by the Politics of BF.

organiccarrotcake Wed 15-Jun-11 23:14:22

Zimm/Moules I highly recommend forgetting about Ella and the like and considering baby led weaning instead. Having done both traditional weaning (from 4 months, baby rice, home-made and jar mush, the works) with DS1 and BLW with DS2, BLW rocks. I've not opened a single jar or pouch and not even got the food processor out of the box. DS2 is nearly a year and has been eating the same stuff as us from the start. It's sooooo much easier.

But clearly this isn't the place for that discussion grin.

TruthSweet Wed 15-Jun-11 23:22:41

OCC - I did trad purees with DD1, nearly straight BLW with DD2 (a few spoons of porridge when it wasn't getting there by herself) and a mix of BLW & slop for DD3 (due to need for hi-kcal foods [aka double cream in everything]) and DD2 was the easiest.

Don't rule out the fruit pouches though as they are easy to fling at a baby/toddler in the pram when you need them to eat on the go.

Of course breadsticks/cheese/apple/banana does well too but none of those can languish in the bottom of the change bag for months undisturbed without causing serious health issues if you then give them to baby grin.

They do say from 12m+ to eat straight from pouch but I found mine would do it from about 9/10m (or 7m in the case of DD3 - greedy piglet). Obviously not if baby is unattended though.

Zimm Thu 16-Jun-11 07:35:22

Would have loved to do BLW but lost my nerve and now she is a rubbish eater! She has finger foods only at lunch time so she is fairly good at self feeding...next time I will def do 100% BLW but a bit late to change now @ 10 months.

Zimm Thu 16-Jun-11 07:37:10

I didn't feel too roasted by The politics of BF as I lucky enough to be able to BF and am pretty attachment parent - esque, DD is still in with us at 10 months, no CIO, CC etc but my weaning style is not going to meet Ms Palmers expectations!

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 07:38:39

oooh thank you - ordering one now, but the buy button doesn't seem to work. Never mind will keep trying

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 07:40:40

anyone else struggling with the buy button? I ahve just refreshed the page but still not working
And it's not out until the end of the month

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 07:42:35

I don't think it's too late to change Zimm? Surely she'll be moving over to finger food about now anyway, so can't you just start giving her 'proper' food?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Jun-11 08:16:03

After reading your posts on weaning organic I'm getting a growing a suspicion that I am sleep walking and am actually organic myself grin

halfdrunktea Thu 16-Jun-11 10:10:49

Sorry to hijack thread somewhat - book looks interesting. I've read 2nd edition (1993 I think) of Politics of BF as it was the only one the library had. Is the 3rd edition much different? Just wondering whether it's worth getting that as well. Sad that in the 2nd edition she said she wished she didn't have to do new editions!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Jun-11 10:34:40

Really must get round to reading it. Is the print small? Just asking as I struggle to read books with small print. Know its out on the Kindle, which is far easier for me to read as I can change the font size, but think that its the kind of book where you will be referring back to all the time and thats harder with the kindle.

TruthSweet Thu 16-Jun-11 14:09:54

Stealth - if you scroll down the page slightly, on the right you will see the shopping basket. If you are anything like me and impatient it will now have 458 copies of 'Complementary Feeding' in it wink

You just need to click once, scroll down to shopping basket and then click on checkout on the arrow that appears next to the basket.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jun-11 14:19:07

Thanks smile Yes I had 5
Have now ordered one successfully - dreadful site!

Zimm Thu 16-Jun-11 18:32:41

stealthpolarbear well I worry she is used to having a certain amount of her calories spoon fed to her so I worry about going 100% BLW.

organiccarrotcake Thu 16-Jun-11 20:11:23

LOL I nearly ordered 2. I figured the (rubbish) basket system after two tries then nearly just bought two anyway so I had one to give away! Groupie alert...

grin @ Jilted.

Zimm, not at all scientific but anecdotally I've found that method of weaning bears little resemblence to future pickyness unless harsh force feeding methods lead to food aversion (which is rare). BLW is supposed to give better outcomes and maybe it does over a largish population but to me the benefits are:

- Sooo easy for the parents
- They can only eat what they're developmentally ready for so much reduced risk of weaning before they're biologically ready
- Easy for parents
- Cheaper as there's no extra food or jars, just share off parent's plate (or in our house, small carrot gets what medium carrot leaves LOL).
- VV easy for parents.

Basically, I'm lazy. And cheap. And I HATE wasting food (spent too much time in Afrika).

I do spoon feed stuff which is eaten off spoons as I've no patience for the mess and feel it's wrong to waste the food. I do follow the BLW theory of watching him and not overfeeding though. It's not "pure" BLW but who does pure anything??? Don't we all just take what works for us?

So I'm convinced that your puree weaning won't have made your DD fussy. She's prob just food choosy. That's ok. If you'd done BLW she'd have just thrown the stuff she was fussy about on the walls grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now