Talk

Advanced search

8 week old baby going 8 hours between feeds

(7 Posts)
sarahloula Tue 14-Jun-11 18:17:34

My 8 week old bottle fed baby feeds every 4 hours throughout the day. She has a final feed between 8 and 9pm then falls asleep. In the past week she has then been sleeping for about 8 hours waking up at 4am for a feed. Should I be concerned that she is going this long without a feed? Should I be waking her up earlier for a feed?

somersetmum Tue 14-Jun-11 18:33:03

As long as she looks well and contented and has plenty of wet nappies, she is getting enough.
Make the most of it and get some well earned rest yourself smile

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 18:35:24

Is she breast or bottle fed?

I think one 8 hour stretch is fine if they're feeding plenty through the day, producing lots of nappies, gaining weight etc.

sarahloula Tue 14-Jun-11 18:37:28

I do feel very lucky to be getting long stretches of sleep at night but feel a bit guilty about her going so long without a feed. She has wet nappies every time but I have noticed when I change her nappy at 4am after her 8 hour gap her nappy is almost completely dry.

sarahloula Tue 14-Jun-11 18:39:13

I am bottle feeding and she feeds well throughout the day. She takes 120ml at every feed.

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 18:45:33

Is she getting the right amount of milk overall? If you multiply her weight in lbs by 2.5 you get an idea of how much milk they should be having - so a 10lb baby needs 25oz a day.

chocoroo Tue 14-Jun-11 18:58:33

My bottle fed baby has gone at least eight hours at night since she was around 4 weeks. I just put it down to good luck.

We were concerned about fluids so dream-fed her at around 11pm but she never stirred (despite drinking the whole bottle). We stopped this at about 12 weeks and now goes 8-7. Maybe try a dream feed if you're worried about fluid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: