Talk

Advanced search

Weaning before going back to work-how?

(6 Posts)
CJMommy Tue 14-Jun-11 16:47:36

DD is just 6 months and I'm back at work in seven weeks. We started solids at 5 months and she currently has two meals a day and bf several times a day also.

I don't want to go down the expressing route ( hate it) so have decided to wean off the breast in the day but would really love to continue with morning and evening/ night feeds once back at work.

She will take formula from a bottle ok and started this morning by supplementing her post breakfast feed with formula instead of bm.

What rate should I change bfeeds to formula and what kind of routine should I do? She will currently take a 5 oz bottle but refuses any more. The plan is that she willbe fully formula fed ( except morn and eve) in the next 7 weeks and I'll be able to go back to work without leaking everywhere!

Also, will my supply slowly creep away to nothing? I have no set target for bf in mind-considering she was TT'd for the first 12 weeks, I'm pretty chuffed we made it this far!

GooGooGadget Tue 14-Jun-11 17:55:20

you've got 7 weeks. One a week? Settle into your FF plan so you know you've sorted it before you go back.

I reduced feeds down to morning and night when I went back to work. Within about 6 weeks DS had decided he preferred bottles and stopped wanting BF. My supply was still there though. Since I had reduced it so much I didn't hae any problems when i stopped completely.

CJMommy Tue 14-Jun-11 20:02:03

That's what happened with DS- decided he preferred bottle to boob!

samsmother Tue 14-Jun-11 21:01:31

I have heard this a lot I think it's because they don't have to work so hard at the bottle. I was worried that this would happen to me when I returned to work last week as I wanted to continue to feed morning evening and weekends that I decided to bypass the bottle and go straight for a beaker. So far so good :-)

CJMommy Tue 14-Jun-11 22:27:53

Mmmmmm may try a beaker then? which one did you use?

samsmother Wed 15-Jun-11 19:38:11

I use a tommee tippee free flow beaker which doesn't prevent spillages but is supposed to be the best type in regards of not affecting their teeth as they come through. Also being free flow means the milk just flows and your baby has to master the new skill of swallowing and control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now