Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis lump - how long did yours take to go?

(7 Posts)
cherub59 Tue 14-Jun-11 08:44:20

Hi all
Am currently battling mastitis and on day 2 of antibiotics. Fever has gone, breast a lot less sore but still red and inch long lump doesn't seem to be shifting (it's in a really awkward point on my areola for baby to get to).

This is ds3, he is 3 months old and bf has always been so easy so am feeling quite miserable.

Have read kellymom and am doing everything I can to shift it. How long did your lumps take to shift?

How do I know it's not an abscess? There's no horrid stuff so assume it's not.

Really really want to keep bf this baby like I did my others!

Any advice?

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 14-Jun-11 09:57:27

Mine took a couple of weeks to go completely.

Have you tried going on all fours and feeding ds from above? My sister swears by it to clear any blockages.

Malvapoeding Tue 14-Jun-11 10:03:35

Mine took about 10 days with daily massaging it with a warm shower and combing it. I also fed from that side first at every feed for the first week.

cherub59 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:03:52

Yep tried "dangle" feeding, rugby hold even lieing upside down next to him!

cherub59 Tue 14-Jun-11 10:05:02

Haven't tried combing. Does it really work? Do you have to press hard or be quit gentle?

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 14-Jun-11 10:10:35

I tried combing a blocked duct, in the shower, I think you have to be quite firm. I have a hairbrush with wooden bristles and it seemed to work quite well.

I think an abscess is quite dramatic and very painful: it's what happens if mastitis isn't caught and treated early but obv if you're still concerned I would go back to the GP.

I hope you feel better soon.

shuffleballchange Tue 14-Jun-11 19:59:07

I had it twice with Ds2, keep feeding and massaging when you feed, also I found alternating a hot (really hot, almost painful) flannel to the affected area and massaging quite firmly. It is horrid, I have never been so ill, so you have my full sympathy.

I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now