Talk

Advanced search

What to do with excess breast milk

(14 Posts)
NikkiTwinkle Mon 13-Jun-11 21:09:48

I'm giving up breastfeeding tomorrow night. I'm down to two feeds a day, but want to give up as I need more freedom etc.

I used to donate to the milk bank but they wont take the milk anymore as my DD is 13 months old. I will put some of the milk on my DD's breakfast but what can I do with the rest?

I anticipate I'll be expressing for a while, but throwing it away seems a waist. My DD won't take it from a bottle/cup etc as she never has, so I don't see her starting now.

Any suggestions?

japhrimel Mon 13-Jun-11 21:15:53

You can donate it privately - I'm sure someone will be along with the website address. I can't remember it off hand.

bluebobbin Mon 13-Jun-11 21:17:49

Cat/Dog?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 13-Jun-11 21:35:10

DH/ DP?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 13-Jun-11 21:37:33

But seriously I would keep it frozen in tiny quantities and use as a remedy for scratches. I swear by it, a little bit of breast milk and all the war wounds scratches that my DD inflicts upon herself <bad nail cutter mother emoticon>, go away within hours of applying the milk on them. Oh, and it's good for nappy rash too.

PenguinArmy Tue 14-Jun-11 04:29:37

can you not use it in food? just her food if you're picky grin

madwomanintheattic Tue 14-Jun-11 05:18:08

why are you going to continue to express if you are stopping bf? <sorry, bit confused>

i had 80 bottles frozen when dd2 came out of scbu grin

you get through it. eventually. just use it in food.

but i really wouldn't bother continuing to express. i've not bothered to cut down with any of my 3. just stopped.

PenguinArmy Tue 14-Jun-11 05:48:48

I assume to relive any engorgement and it should only take a few days?

madwomanintheattic Tue 14-Jun-11 06:48:37

if you're only on two feeds a day it shouldn't be too bad - couple of cabbages in the fridge and you're good to go.

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 14-Jun-11 09:56:07

It makes good ice cream you know.

NikkiTwinkle Thu 16-Jun-11 13:38:04

Thanks for the advice, will try the cabbages, I have to express as it's way too painful if I just leave it. Also DD gets really agitated if she can smell the milk on me and not have any. I'm hoping to only express once a day, then every two days etc until eventually it goes away.

Will look into privately donating it

madwomanintheattic Thu 16-Jun-11 15:18:04

last time i bulk bought cabbages the woman at the checkout said 'oo, are you making sauerkraut?' in a really excited voice. i said 'er, no. i'm... putting them in my bra as i'm stopping bf' cue a lengthy discussion, with me thinking 'dear god, i'm going to explode, just let me get the damn things home and in the fridge, please...' grin i should have just smiled noncommittally and legged it.

organiccarrotcake Thu 16-Jun-11 20:16:03

It would make nice ice pops for her? My DSs are dairy intolerant so I'll try that this summer so they don't miss out on ice cream!

HipHopOpotomus Thu 16-Jun-11 23:58:44

Freeze it and use it in your dd's food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now