Talk

Advanced search

Is this reverse cycling?

(3 Posts)
Moulesfrites Mon 13-Jun-11 12:22:20

I am finding it harder and harder to bf my 20 week old ds during the day- yesterday were went to pils, we were there for 6 hours and he only had one feed of any significant length during that time. He is constantly pulling off and looking round. Up until a few weeks ago I was going anywhere and everywhere feeding him in public - does this mean I am going to have to stay at home and feed him in the dark?

Since about 15 weeks he has been waking more frequently at night - I have thought this was a growth spurt, sleep regression, had endless people tell me to start weaning him, but could it just be that he is making up for his feeds at night as he is taking so little during the day? Could that be it?

Do I need to do anything about this to stop it becoming a problem in the future, or will it right itself? Any survival tips? I am so relieved that this might be an explanation as I am fed up of hearing tales of much smaller babies sleeping through and the accompanying implication that I am a crap mum!

japhrimel Mon 13-Jun-11 12:45:02

Yes, it could be it. DD went through an extremely distractible stage at about 4 months - it was like she suddenly realised that all this stuff was going on around her and she didn't want to miss anything! It's settled down now at 6 mo - she's still distractible but not so much and feeds are more efficient generally so they take less time anyway.

Mishy1234 Mon 13-Jun-11 13:28:16

Yes, I agree you could be right. There's just so much going on around 4 months! I had a similar thing happen with both my boys and just had to go with the flow really. With DS1 I did stay at home more and started feeding him in the bedroom with the curtains closed. It didn't really stop the night feeds and was really restricting.

As far as I can work out sleeping through is pretty much a lottery. Everyone has different ideas of what sleeping through means too. Apart from that, babies who sleep through early on don't always continue that way either!

All you can do is continue to offer during the day and go with the flow at night. It will get better over time and they all sleep through eventually.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: