12-1 lunch
2-3 doze
5 tea
6-7 bath/bed routine
7 feed then sleep

10pm feed and back to his bed
2am feed and into my bed
although he has woken at 9-1-4 sometimes

its great that hes dropped a day feed as I'm going back to work in 2m, but what do you recommend about the night feeds? is he making up for what hes not having in the day so theres nothing I can do? when he wakes at night, he is inconsolable if I dont feed him, even if its only 90mins since his last feed. he often feeds to sleep, but I am trying to wean him off this (doing the no cry sleep solution which has been great for us!)
DH works nights every other run of shifts, so I have to see to him on my own (so i guess DS knows the milk is there...). Me and DH have planned that he sees to him when he is next off (12 nights off, working dayshifts though) and offers him water and cuddles instead of milk if its not long since his last feed. (he wont take a dummy, used to, but decided overnight that he didnt want it anymore at about 5m)

am I being realistic? does anyone have any suggestions or anything that could be of help to me? or maybe just some supportive words? smile

thanks!!! (and sorry for huge OP!)

FunnysInTheGarden Sun 12-Jun-11 21:03:48

sorry but it sounds very normal. DS2 is 16 months and has 2/3 feeds a night. Then maybe at 7pm and 7.30 pm (he is a very greedy baby!) Or he may sleep until 12pm and then want a feed. He has just about got out of having proper night feeds, but always wants a lot more milk during the night than the day. Tis a pain, but I just go with it. He eats loads during the day, but just seems to like night feeds.

MassagesDeclinedByNetmums Sun 12-Jun-11 21:06:04

Darn, had a feeling you would say that. Ahh well, I havent slept for about a year, starting now would seem weird grin

DS is also a gannet in the day. I swear he eats more than me!!

MassagesDeclinedByNetmums Mon 13-Jun-11 14:09:22

I had a thought. If funny is still feeding at night at 16m, do you think my DS needs milk in the night at 8.5m? Does anyone know if it is actually okay to offer him water instead?

RitaMorgan Mon 13-Jun-11 14:24:50

Personally I think some children need night feeds nutritionally up to about 8/9 months, but after that it's more for comfort or a sleep aid - that's if they're having good meals/feeds in the day.

I found once ds could settle without a breast at bedtime, then he could settle without it in the night too.

From 6 months ds just had a dreamfeed at 11pm then nothing til 5am, and at around 8 months we dropped the dreamfeed. Now if he wakes in the night we just offer water. He was still having about 5 good breastfeeds and 3 meals in the day though.

GooGooGadget Tue 14-Jun-11 11:01:22

With DS I was basically the same as Rita smile

DD is waking 3 -4 times a night for milk ATM at 6.5 months... I've told myself it's a growth spurt smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now