Talk

Advanced search

Formula feeding - when to move on to Hungry Baby?

(12 Posts)
BPrincess Sat 11-Jun-11 20:57:16

I'm feeding Cow & Gate level 1 milk (she is 9 days old) and has been fine on it, but it now seems she needs more 'topping up'. when is it ok to move on to the level 2 (for hungry babies)? Does level 2 give more satisfaction for the same volume of liquid? Is it too early? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks ever so much

bristols Sat 11-Jun-11 21:00:59

I think it's a bit soon to move on to hungry baby at the moment. Hungry baby milk is digested in a different way so it makes the baby feel full for longer but it doesn't contain any more calories. At this age your baby needs to be fed as much and as often as she needs. If she's finishing bottles, make up the next ounce and offer that. Don't take too much notice of the tin/box. How much is she having? How often?

diggingintheribs Sat 11-Jun-11 21:02:55

My paed friend once told me not ti use the hungrier baby because it can make them constipated. she said that she would always advise staying on number 1

How much is she actually having a day? And when you say she needs topping up what do you mean?

9 days seems very young to even be considering moving up

japhrimel Sat 11-Jun-11 21:09:38

It's harder for them to digest, so is only really good for older babies who are already having the maximum amount of formula they can have in a day without their weight shooting up. It shouldn't be relevant for a 9 day old - I'm afraid tiny babies just like and need to have lots of feeds.

BPrincess Sat 11-Jun-11 21:09:57

Thanks that all makes perfect sense. She's kind of having 120ml about every 3 or 4 hrs, then maybe another 20-40mls an hour or so after.

How does this sound?

cagedbirdsings Sat 11-Jun-11 21:12:01

Hungry baby milk is really of they are having the maximum they can have of the stage one milk but are too young for weaning, it is so that you can delay weaning.

cagedbirdsings Sat 11-Jun-11 21:12:15

*if not of

diggingintheribs Sat 11-Jun-11 21:13:46

I don't think that sounds too much and the timings sound normal. Maybe you could try topping her up 30 mins later

are you sure she is hungry then? Do you think she may be windy?

Is she having trouble with the bottles? Maybe teat size? Or maybe you could try a different milk (i used aptamil).

If she is putting wait on as she should i wouldn't worry!

japhrimel Sat 11-Jun-11 21:14:18

I'd expect to need to feed a 9 day old more often than 3-4 hourly anyway.

Seona1973 Sat 11-Jun-11 21:23:56

hungry milk isnt recommended for young babies. I'd stick to first milk until your lo is taking full bottles and is still looking for more a short while later. They are unpredictable with feeding in the early days and at that age it was around 2 - 2 1/2 hours that mine wanted feeding (sometimes more often!) Your lo could also be crying due to tiredness rather than hunger and is wanting to suck for comfort. Have you tried a dummy?

mrsgordonfreeman Mon 13-Jun-11 14:06:25

Just give her more milk if she's hungry.

Aptamil is identical to Cow and Gate in every way apart from the box so I don't think switching will make any difference.

theborrower Mon 13-Jun-11 21:25:23

Hungry baby formula is 'not recommended or needed' according to every info leaflet on formula that I've had, apart from on the advice of a health professional.

9 days old is brand new and will need frequent feeding, feeding every 3-4 hours is really normal, or even much more frequent! My DD was hungry every 2 and a half - 3 hours at that age, and was for quite a while. She settled somewhere around the 3 hour stage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now