Talk

Advanced search

Seems hungry but won't feed... :>(

(7 Posts)
Daisy17 Sat 11-Jun-11 15:21:24

My 8 week old is having a difficult day - he got hungry on a trip out, fed when we got back but then had a bit of posseting which really upset him. He then settled and when he seemed hungry again I offered a boob and he latched on but then came off and screamed. After a while I stopped trying and he fell asleep on my shoulder. When he woke up he was immediately upset, did another sicky burp - I tried to feed him but got the same reaction. So now we're both in tears - Any ideas?!!

LaCiccolina Sat 11-Jun-11 16:29:00

Oh you poor thing. You both sound tired today. Im afraid the only solution i have is to keep offering your boob and a cuddle. Im not that experienced with possetting. When my dd does it it very much upsets her too. I end up just trying to distract her til she relaxes and next time its usually better. Im sure someone will be along in a minute with more experience. Hope he latches on better later x

DairyBeetle Sat 11-Jun-11 18:39:28

Could he have a burp or two stuck? Your post could be our 2pm feed: lots of screaming from DS, latching on only to pull off, got a couple of very loud burps and he did go back but must have swallowed lots of air while yelling as we had to repeat the whole winding process (with sicky bits) before anything like a decent feed could be had! DS had a good sleep and has just woken up and had a really good feed so I think he was overtired by the end of the last feed which never helps either.

Hope you're both calmed down and the next feed is better.

japhrimel Sat 11-Jun-11 19:50:44

Trapped wind could do that. Whenever DD has a tummy ache she wants to feed even if it makes it worse!

Four4me Sat 11-Jun-11 21:11:13

I would say wind too! Dc4 does it too and he is 16 weeks. He feeds brilliantly first feed of the day but the next one he feeds aggressively then repetitively writhes about and pulls off. Burbs loads and sucks too. It is like the tummy ache makes them want to feed and that makes the tummy ache, in a vicious circle. He often crashes out and then half an hour later feeds well again. sorry no advice but wanted you to know you are not alone. Don't cry, keep calm.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sat 11-Jun-11 21:18:08

Don't want to worry you, but could also be reflux. My DS was always sick, but when he got to about 9/10 weeks, would try to feed and immediately come off, arching his back and screeching. He would then only latch on if I held him almost vertical and only feed for a few minutes. Once diagnosed and on medication he improved dramatically and almost immediately. GPs are notoriously rubbish at diagnosing it though, so if you think he might have it you might have to push for a referral or get seen through A&E.

kellieb7 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:15:04

I would also say wind, sounds very similar to my DD when she was younger, she was desperate to feed but just wouldn't settle. I found letting DD have her nappy off and massaging her tummy really helped, she would then settle (mostly) and feed much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now