Talk

Advanced search

Is this the start of mastitis or is DD starting to reduce milk intake?

(8 Posts)
kimberlina Fri 10-Jun-11 12:47:57

DD is 7mo and been doing BLW for about 6 weeks. Recently has become much better at handling food so is now eating more.

Since last night my rt breast has been really tender especially on the underneath. The lt breast is normal. I've fed her first on the rt side during the night and this morning. Feeding has eased the discomfort but not got rid of it. Picking her up is still sore when she brushes against my boobs but not agony.

I don't feel unwell at all.

Is this the start of mastitis or is her milk intake starting to reduce (she is still feeding 6 times per 24 hrs). Should I encourage frequent feeding and express on the right side or should I leave it to see if milk production reduces.

All advice appreciated

EauRouge Fri 10-Jun-11 13:21:28

Are there any lumps or red patches? Does it feel hard? I would continue feeding as normal but try to make sure there's no milk hanging around in your right breast, you could also try applying a warm flannel and massaging during a feed if you feel like there's a blockage there. Definitely don't leave it if you think it might be mastitis or a blocked duct.

kimberlina Fri 10-Jun-11 14:15:46

No red patches but slightly lumpty texture underneath. Not large lumps more like little peas. Will try massage and flannel - and I heard that cabbage can help ???

Trillian42 Fri 10-Jun-11 15:02:13

I had a blocked duct that had similar symptoms. I massaged in a hot shower and pretty much saw it 'unblocking'! Literally watery milk started shooting out whereas creamy milk was leaking out previously. I then fed DD from it for the next couple of feeds and all was well. Mine was sore on the top left, and that was where the blockage was. (Sorry if TMI!)

Trillian42 Fri 10-Jun-11 15:03:34

Actually, symptoms were identical when I re-read. I'd say a shower is worth a shot?

kimberlina Fri 10-Jun-11 16:00:59

OK - shower and feed is next plan. Really appreciate the advice eaurouge and trillian

japhrimel Sat 11-Jun-11 12:30:22

If you don't have a temperature and don't feel ill in yourself, it's unlikely to be mastitis but could well be a blocked duct or milk blister. Massage, use heat before feeds and cold afterwards and maybe take ibuprofen and it should clear.

kimberlina Sat 11-Jun-11 12:51:33

thanks japhrimel - much more comfortable today. Did take an ibuprofen yesterday and used cabbage (don't know if that helped grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now