Talk

Advanced search

8m old feeding 3-4 times at night - need to wean a little

(5 Posts)
FlingonTheValiant Fri 10-Jun-11 09:16:11

DS was feeding twice regularly and had dropped to once for a few consecutive nights, but then he got a tooth through and since then it's been 3, normally 4, feeds between 11.30 and 6 (not including the 6/6.30 feed). I'm shattered, they're big feeds and I'm finding it really draining. They're mainly clumped together from 3.30 onwards and I don't think he needs them from a hunger perspective.

Also he's been crying a lot around that time, he never normally cries at night, he just makes a little noise, feeds and goes back to sleep. Now he's really crying before, during and after the feeds. So I think he might be teething and is comfort feeding.

He's also refusing solids during the day (unless it's fruit) and so I think he's feeding the wrong way round, iyswim.

Is there any way to gently wean him back down to 11.30, 3.30 and 6.30, I could cope with that.

Also, should I be giving him fruit/fruit puree if he's refusing to eat everything else? I don't know whether he'll keep refusing if he knows he'll get the sweet stuff anyway, but I'm not sure if he's too young to have worked that out or not.

DialsMavis Fri 10-Jun-11 10:05:04

Have you tried offering baby neurofen to se if it is teething or hunger?

FlingonTheValiant Fri 10-Jun-11 10:37:43

No blush I should have thought of that. How long does it take to kick in?

RitaMorgan Fri 10-Jun-11 11:01:50

I'd try giving him calpol/calprofen at the 11.30 feed and see if he sleeps better. I don't think you'll be able to cut down on feeds if he's in pain.

When I cut down on nightfeeds, DP went in to DS between feeds (7pm/11pm/3am/7am is what we aimed for) and settled him with cuddles and water. At first he did basically have to hold DS between feeds!

FlingonTheValiant Fri 10-Jun-11 11:19:19

Ok, I'll try dosing him at his first feed and see if that helps. Once he seems settled we'll try to get the feeds down again.

Thanks very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now