Talk

Advanced search

Thrush not gone - back to the doctors today?

(4 Posts)
Fernie3 Fri 10-Jun-11 07:28:43

my 10 month old started with thrush (lots of White ulcer looking things plus a spotty tongue) about 2 weeks ago she has never had this before. I took her to the doctors who gave us drops, they seemed to help a little but it never went just reduced, now that the drops are finished the White patches are still there (but not as bad) and she is getting a slightly spotty tongue. The drops HAVE made it better but it's not gone - would it b a good idea to go bacl today rather than seeing if it continues to go? It's a pain getting to the dotors as the appts are stupidly all at school drop off time (and I have to take 3 or 4 kids with me) so I don't want to go if the doctor is going to tell me to wait and see!

Thanks!

japhrimel Fri 10-Jun-11 08:52:52

Are you breastfeeding? If so, you both have to be treated. If not, I thought the gel was considered better than the drops these days?

Have you tried probiotics?

RitaMorgan Fri 10-Jun-11 11:57:11

Yes, you both need to be treated or you'll just pass the infection back to her. Insist on daktarin oral gel for the baby, and either daktarin or canestan cream for your nipples too.

Watch out for the baby developing a thrush nappy rash, and be scrupulous about hygiene, hotwashing bras and breastpads etc.

RitaMorgan Fri 10-Jun-11 11:58:35

Download and print this Breastfeeding Network leaflet on thrush to ensure the GP gives you the right treatment this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now