Talk

Advanced search

Back to work and still Breastfeeding - Help

(5 Posts)
BMAmum Wed 08-Jun-11 14:23:11

Hi all,

I've not posted on here before but I need some advise. My DD has been exclusively BF until I started to wean her at six months. She is 7 months now, I'm back at work and she is in full time nursery (not ideal but until I finish my training I cannot go part time).

Anyway I'm still BF her in the morning, when I pick her up (about tea time) and before bed and I am hoping to carry this on for a while. Trouble is she will not take a bottle and so she has no milk whatsoever during the day. Is this ok?

She will take a small amount of water from a beaker but she is so stubborn!

Also I'm going away for the weekend in Aug for work and I although I plan to express whilst I'm away to keep my milk flow I'm worried she will not have any milk from the bottle at all.

Any tips would be great

Thank-you

Albrecht Wed 08-Jun-11 15:17:56

Have you tried expressed milk in a cup? It takes a while for them to learn so you have to keep trying.

chloeb2002 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:44:22

I dont thin there are recorded cases of babies starving themselves.. my dd was a complete nightmare and just refused to take anything other than me till nearly 8 months. she did take baby rice/ purees from 5 months by a spoon... so im sure your lo will be just fine :0)

flickor Thu 09-Jun-11 09:14:35

As long as she is happy and healthy I would not worry. one of my friends DS would wait to feed till he got home. Your DD will start taking more fluid when she see the other children in the nursery drinking.

At seven months she will be getting roughly 40% of her calories from her solid food. Also we get 30% of our own water intake from the breakdown of food so as long as she is eating food she is getting fluid. Babies need about a pint of milk a day so if she is getting this when you feed her she will be fine.

thesurgeonsmate Thu 09-Jun-11 11:12:31

Mine started nursery at 9 months, so a bit older I suppose. She had practiced with water in a cup, but really only drank enough to satisfy her curiosity as to how the cup worked. But soon after starting nursery she was drinking drink-sized amounts of milk and water from the cup just the thing. If doesn't want bottle, encourage cup? What do the nursery want to do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: