Talk

Advanced search

Colief & bfing

(11 Posts)
LittleMilla Tue 07-Jun-11 12:25:32

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of using this and ebf-ing? My 5 week old DS is getting all colicy in the evenings. I had him on infacol but then stupidly stopped it as I thought it was giving him diarriah. Managed to get him back on it on Sunday, but it's not working as well yet, so bought Colief upon recommendation.

Only problem is that you're supposed to mix it with expressed breast milk before each feed. I've only managed a couple, but it's a real faff. I've got A LOT of milk (which is what makes my DS so windy I think) and really struggled to regulate supply. Any time I express it sends my bazookas in to overdrive again, so really loathe to meddle.

Can I just put the drops in his mouth before a feed?? Any advice is appreciated. For now I am just going to stick with infacol and order yet MORE nappies grin!

TIA for any advice. x

RitaMorgan Tue 07-Jun-11 13:23:47

Not sure about colief, but have you tried block feeding to help with the oversupply?

What do you mean by diahorrea btw? Breastfed babies usually have liquid poos!

TruthSweet Tue 07-Jun-11 13:38:32

Hi LittleMilla - what's baby doing at the moment that leads you to think he has colic? Not saying he doesn't but it might be something else or just him being a baby wink

BF babies poo is meant to be very runny and not 'formed' like an adult's is (or indeed a formula fed baby though they are softer than an adults but not loose like a bf baby's) so don't worry about diarrhea unless the poos are watery (like poo and water slightly mixed together <sorryblush>).

Colief is lactase solution (lactase is the digestive enzyme that digests lactose the sugar in milk) according to their website you 'only' need to express a few tablespoons of milk (I would guess a few is 2-3 which would be 30-45mls which might be half a feed for a 5 week old baby) to mix the drops into.

LittleMilla Tue 07-Jun-11 18:57:01

hello, thanks for replies.

Sorry blush, should have been clearer on poo sitch. it was more frequency (up to 10 a day!) versus consistency. It's pretty normal in terms of colour etc.

truth he tends to get unbearable from about 6-11. He can fall asleep and then wake up screaming in pain. He's often rigid, back arched etc. We then try in vain to burp and comfort him but nothing works - he'll fuss on my boob , but it seems that exhaustion is the only think that settles him.

he's currently squirming on me having pulled off my boob. so off to bath him. any suggestions greatly appreciated :-)

RitaMorgan Tue 07-Jun-11 19:29:49

Some babies do poo very frequently - mine pooed at every feed for the first couple of months.

TruthSweet Tue 07-Jun-11 19:53:47

Having a bath with baby can work well, as can carrying in a sling (not a baby bjorn type but a wrap/ring type). Tiger in the tree hold is also reputed to work.

Have you seen this before? Lots of tips and things to do to help ease crying.

japhrimel Tue 07-Jun-11 19:56:28

Are you hand expressing or pumping? Hand expressing 10ml or so isn't likely to affect supply IMO as it's far gentler than pumping.

Have you got help to get as deep a latch as possible? A deep latch is needed to get the fattier milk out.

DD still loves Tiger in the Tree hold at 6 months. smile

LittleMilla Tue 07-Jun-11 20:04:54

shock he's asleep! Had a bath with him, then some booby time (!) and then a cuddle on his daddy's chest.

<I have everything crossed that he doesn't wake up screaming in next half an hour!!>.

japhrimel thanks for suggestion on hand pump. I've borrowed an electric one (Ameda?) and it's industrial - my nipples practically turn purple!! It's really put me off tbh...

Will look in to slings. He's OK in the bb, but it does my back in. He's gaining weight well and is almost 11lb and i'm only 5ft 1! Thank you for the link TruthSweet I will check it out now.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 07-Jun-11 20:08:54

Awww you poor love it's horrid when they get so distressed

I second the advice about a sling, dd2 spent first 4 months in a moby wrap - have you read any thing about infant massage?

Glad the bath worked xx

GreenTeapot Tue 07-Jun-11 20:13:14

If you genuinely have oversupply then it's much easier to deal with the problem by block feeding, than faffing around with Colief. Why not call the NCT BFing helpline (0300 330 0771) and talk to a counsellor about this? If it is oversupply it is usually easy to fix smile

RitaMorgan Tue 07-Jun-11 20:16:12

Definitely get a decent sling - a moby wrap or close carrier is much kinder on your back, I could carry ds in one all day until he was 5 or 6 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: