Talk

Advanced search

Nursing bra - any low priced ones out there?

(22 Posts)
PrincessOfWails Mon 06-Jun-11 19:45:53

OK, so I'm due rather soon with baby no 2, and need to put a nursing bra or two in my hospital bag (I assume?).
Last time round, I got some cheapo ones from Tesco - they were actually very good! - and they did me until my milk came in, and I got a few and when my size settled down I was able to buy proper ones.
But Tesco don't do them any more it seems!

What should I do here? Get expensive ones? Are there cheap ones? Do without?? (I had hyperlactation last time and when my milk came in, boy, did it come in - I was like Jordan for a while. Freak show boobs.)

I can shop online - and there are no shops near here only a large Tesco, and a small Debenhams. There is a tiny M&S but it has a very limited range. No underwear shops or department stores.

DrSeuss Mon 06-Jun-11 20:03:11

I got measured at Mothercare although there are instructions on Mumsnet for how to calculate your nursing bra size, then bought a couple there as I had vouchers and some more from ebay.

RitaMorgan Mon 06-Jun-11 20:04:31

I didn't take nursing bras to the hospital - my milk didn't come in til after we were at home.

pookamoo Mon 06-Jun-11 20:05:25

Hiya,
It's worth seeing if your local branch of NCT has a trained bra fitter, who will be able to measure you up properly (Mothercare's not great, no offence to them!).
Then, Peacocks have them for £5 and £7 each!

nethunsreject Mon 06-Jun-11 20:07:25

You can get them on ebay once you know your size.

NCT def good for measuring. Most shops are crap and I wasted a fotune on ones that geva me blocked ducts.

CappuccinoCarrie Mon 06-Jun-11 20:16:02

My favourite ones are by Bravado, and they show you on their website how to measure yourself. Their sort of cropped top style bra is great while your size is changing on an hourly basis, and their nursing tank is fantastic. Sorry it doesn't answer the 'cheap' bit of your question though! I've read (prob on MN) that you can buy nursing clips and sew them onto cheap normal bras.

PrincessOfWails Mon 06-Jun-11 20:18:45

OK - might try peacocks then. I've seen online that there are cheapo ones in Primark, and also H&M; my DH is in London this week and has nerves of steel and no fear of being caught in the frilly section. grin (Good for him - he's supportive of bf!)
I have no local branch of NCT - the closest is 50 miles away (I'm in north Wales) but I'm ok with measuring etc.
It's the temporary period before milk comes in, and then the massive explosion in size afterwards that needs to be covered!

moogdroog Tue 07-Jun-11 09:03:51

I won an Emma Jane maternity bra recently in a competition - it's one of their 'next generation' seamfree ones, and it comes in just one size. It saw me through the Jordan days quite nicely and stretched to accommodate my torpedos, so there was no worrying about it being the right size.
Works great as a night time bra too, which is what I think I'll use it as long term. They're just £10, which is pretty reasonable.

DrSeuss Tue 07-Jun-11 10:33:45

If you measure as a 40D, let me know asI have a brand new black cat flap bra you can have.

PrincessOfWails Tue 07-Jun-11 10:41:38

DrSeuss thank you so much - alas, I'm currently a 32. I don't seem to change my band size during pregnancy, as I was a 32 before being pregnant, and during pregnancy as well, and last time for breastfeeding. I say that as if I've had 15 pregnancies - this is the second one!

Moogdroog I will investigate the Emma Jane one - anything that adjusts to cover the pre-milk and then also the milkman visit sounds intriguing! I really do begrudge paying for something to be worn for the colostrum days and then having to buy 2 or 3 to accommodate the expansion and gradual sinking afterwards!

destructogirl Tue 07-Jun-11 10:55:36

Matalan have some, they were quite pretty too. Limited range of sizes though, didn't have any to fit me (34E).

PrincessOfWails Tue 07-Jun-11 11:22:27

Emma Jane it is - thanks Moogdroog! (Love the name, btw - makes me think of my Uni days...) I was sceptical, but spoke to an advisor at Emma Jane, and had a voucher at figleaves (but damn their P&P!) and so I've ordered two, which will do until my size settles down and I can buy pretty ones, and also will do at night.
£10 is good anyway - they're so expensive! The pretty ones on figleaves were reduced to £27 etc! shock

I'm sure there's a business opportunity here somewhere. smile

TheSnickeringFox Tue 07-Jun-11 11:31:48

H&M have two for £15, one black one white.

DrSeuss Tue 07-Jun-11 11:49:31

Anyone else for a 40D cat flap bra?

Moodykat Tue 07-Jun-11 12:16:21

Can someone link to this Emma Jane bra please?! Am struggling to find it and think it sounds like exactly what I'm after! With DS1 I spent stupid money on a Hot Milk one and it bloody itched like buggery! Plain and simple this time round!

BikeRunSki Tue 07-Jun-11 12:19:46

NCT (the local fitters and online shop) have some discontinued styles for less than a tenner.

PrincessOfWails Tue 07-Jun-11 12:56:40

Moodykat here is a link - it's the 'new generation' bra specifically.
Figleaves has really limited sizes (is it just me or do they always have limited sizes?!) but I have a discount code - TWENTY - gives you 20% off.

I had hotmilk ones last time and they were great, but only once I'd settled down. I remember my Mum arriving with a clutch of the Tesco £5 ones, 32s and 34s, varying from DD-G, and I used all of them at various points. Good ol' hyperlactation.

Will let you know - but I trust MoogDroog. Her use of the word 'torpedo' suggests she knows what she's talking about. grin

moogdroog Tue 07-Jun-11 13:11:56

Ah, you've found the link Princess (glad you like my name too!).

Yeah, the Emma Jane ones are worth the tenner IMO - they aren't pretty, and not sure I'll be using mine as a daytime bra too much, but for those ever-changing Lolo Ferrari days and night times, they're great.

I do think I might have stretched the bra to it's limit when I had torpedos though - I looked like one of those female weightlifters who wear the tiny triangle bikinis... Real nice! shock

Moodykat Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:51

I just bought two from here:
Here
Did a google search for a discount code for 10% off making two bras £20 including postage, and they have all the sizes as opposed to figleaves only having two sizes!

Moodykat Tue 07-Jun-11 20:10:47

Wish the model looked a bit more like a nursing mother though! I hate her a little bit!

japhrimel Tue 07-Jun-11 20:12:47

I just took stretch sleep bras to hospital and wore them for the first week.

Primafacie Wed 08-Jun-11 09:34:57

I got a really nice one from the Elle McPherson lingerie range at TKMaxx. RRP £33, was reduced to 4 quid! Bargain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: