Talk

Advanced search

Nipple Vasospasm

(11 Posts)
Marabou Mon 06-Jun-11 18:54:40

Hi everyone,

I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 4-week-old DS and I think I have nipple vasospasm on my right breast. The nipple is very sore between feeds and I get this burning, shooting pain in it. The colour of the nipple is also very white after a feed and gradually goes back to normal colour, but in the middle of the nipple it looks like there's some sort of "dried" yellowish/whitish skin (sorry if TMI) that doesn't even out between feeds. Do you think this is nipple vasospasm and if so, what could I do to ease it?

Many thanks!

TruthSweet Mon 06-Jun-11 19:03:42

Vasospasm has quite a few causes (both from with in mum or from a feeding issue with baby) so it might take a bit of time to work out what the cause is - I would really recommend calling one of the bfing helplines for expert help.

This article has lots of self help information that might be helpful.

CamperFan Mon 06-Jun-11 20:36:19

Good advice above. I always used a hot water bottle or "hottie" before a feed on my breasts, and then kept it around me during the feed, but then I had it during the winter. I had it on both nipples with DS1 and just on the left side with DS2. First time was definitely thrush related, second time not so sure, but bfing became more comfortable by 8 weeks.

RaisingMrC Mon 06-Jun-11 20:58:02

Hi - just thought I would post about the dried white thing you mention...I have something similar at the moment (very painful it is too!) and did some googling.

Came across this and this which is what I think I have (know you're not really supposed to self diagnose via internet!!)

HTH

japhrimel Mon 06-Jun-11 21:37:25

Could be a milk blister or bleb as the PP suggested. I've got one now and it really hurts!!!!

sh77 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:48:28

Sounds like milk blister. I had the white spot and it was causing milk blockage. GP burst it for me with sterile needle but kept coming back and so had to keep picking it under hot shower water. V painful.

Marabou Tue 07-Jun-11 19:53:20

Hi everyone and many thanks for your replies. Gosh I think maybe that's what I have; I thought I was becoming very efficient with this self-diagnosing, but hadn't come accross this milk blister thing smile! Hm, I think I'll bring it up with the GP.. Although I hope he will not burst it! That sounds absolutely horrible!!

Davidsmom Tue 07-Jun-11 22:26:19

Hi,

I had a similar problem and think it was a combination of longish feeding sessions and latch not being quite right with possibly a bit of vasospasm.

Anyway it did go eventually but i found a tip of putting my hairdryer on at a low/warm setting and aiming at them helped brilliantly.

Sounds weird but worked for me until got other things sorted.

thefurryone Wed 08-Jun-11 14:09:38

This sounds very similar to what is going on with me. Forgive me for being a bit dim and needing this to be spelt out in words of one syllabul but does vasospasm basically refer to getting errect nipples at the start of a feed? This happens to me loads but I'd just put it down to the unseasonably cold weather and DH's daily decision to turn the heating off!

TruthSweet Wed 08-Jun-11 14:23:40

Vasospasm refers to the spasm of the blood vessels which causes vasoconstriction (meaning something that closes, or constricts, the blood vessels) rather than erection of nipples.

This might be of interest.

Marabou Thu 09-Jun-11 19:50:51

Hm, so the latest is that finally got a GP appointment today, but the doctor thought it was simply a sore nipple due to poor latch and gave me an ointment called Kamillosan to apply.. I'm not entirely sure about that, but will give the ointment a try nevertheless and see how I get on. If it doesn't seem to help, I'll call one of the bf support numbers.

Oh, after having taken a look at some pictures on nipple blisters, I gathered I don't have that after all, as mine doesn't really look like that.. And as the GP didn't think I had thrush either, I'm thinking it must be the nipple vasospasm or then the sore nipple like she said.. I'm hoping the ointment will help; nipple vasospasm sounds much more complicated to deal with!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: