Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Milk after DC turns 1

(11 Posts)
greeneone12 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:21:22

I am a bit confused as have been told 2 different things. I have accepted I will be feeding until DD is 1 but someone told me they still need milk (12oz) a day and someone else said if they are getting calcium from cheese and milk in cereal then they don't need milk to drink. Which is true?!

I wish I could give up now but can't - just not sure how I will ever stop. When can I expect DD to be feeding morning and night only?

ninja Sun 05-Jun-11 21:37:29

My first DD never drank any milk after she stopped feeding (and neither did I) DD2 drinks pints of the stuff and while I fed until past 2 she would happily take a bottle.

If you want to just bf morning and night I think at one you could choose to do that and offer a bottle/cup as an alternative in the day. I did that at some point (probably nearer 18 months - but then I'm a softy!)

RitaMorgan Sun 05-Jun-11 21:42:38

From 12 months they are supposed to have about 12oz/350ml a day, but this includes cheese, yoghurt and milk in cereal/cooking - so if she refuses to drink milk you can always get it in her food.

How old is your DD now?

sprinkles77 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:49:50

I think you're asking 2 questions... so here are 2 possible answers:
Q1. How much milk? If you BF you probably don't know the exact quantities. I think they say 2-3 portions of milk a day. My DS aged 15 months gets 2 bottles of cow's milk (6 oz) plus a portion of yoghurt. He usually leaves some of the milk, at breakfast he gets the left overs mixed with his cereal. So yes, if your DD has lots of cheese and milk in cereal, she prob does not need that much milk to drink.
Q2. DS stopped feeding in the night at about 8 weeks. He then stopped taking his 10.30pm bottle too at about 6 months. I suspect if you BF it might take longer. He still has a bottle at breakfast and at bed time. He dropped the lunch time bottle at 6 months and the mid afternoon bottle at about 11 months. I know lots of babies my son's age who have not had a bottle for months. I like giving him a bottle cos I like the cuddling. so does he.

I think if you want to stop the milk (i assume you are BFing) you can do it as soon or as late as you want to. Drop the feeds you want to, be it some or all of them. If it's calcium you're worried about, there are other sources. If you want to stop for other reasons, that's fine too, I'm seriously impressed at anyone who manages any amount of BFing! I never BF, so can't give you advice on how to stop. I think you need to decide why you want to.

sprinkles77 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:50:29

oops x posted!

greeneone12 Mon 06-Jun-11 10:08:28

Thank you very much. I have a few months to go but just wanted some info really. She doesn't take a bottle and we are trying with the cup everyday.

Albrecht Mon 06-Jun-11 10:19:47

Think it just depends on the baby. Ds is 11 months, doesn't eat a lot of solids and still bf lots during the day (I don't mind as at least he's getting something). But my nephew wasn't having any milk at this age, just loads of yoghurt and cheese. Think you have to wait and see really.

Keep trying with the cup, you'll get there eventually.

RitaMorgan Mon 06-Jun-11 13:37:43

If your DD is say, 8 months+, I think you would be able to go down to just morning and evening breastfeeds if she eats well in the day. I would use formula in cereal, cheese sauces, milk jelly, smoothies and any other milky cooking you can think of, and keep offering formula in a cup (plus cheese and yoghurts) and I'm sure you can make sure she gets enough even without taking a bottle.

cornflakegirl Mon 06-Jun-11 13:52:26

DS1 went to morning and evening breastfeeds at about 9m, as he just lost interest in his lunchtime feed. DS2 is 21m and still feeds at least three times a day - and would feed much more frequently if I let him. He has cow's milk in a cup too, and milk or yogurt on cereal.

My friend's daughter is five, and refuses to have milk as a drink. It's usually pretty easy to get calcium into them in other ways - I wouldn't worry about it yet.

howabout Mon 06-Jun-11 14:24:41

My dd2 refused to drink cow's milk and when she stopped BF at 14 months I became a bit obsessed about the calcium content of everything. Selection to bore your friends and relations with - red meat, lentils, beetroot, broccoli, cheese, eggs, yoghurt, and even better if you wash it all down with orange juice to increase absorption. Probably also best to make sure dd will drink water from a cup of some sort by about a year to avoid dehydration.
PS even before 14 months DDs started to drop feeds quite quickly once they started to eat proper food.

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 14:49:23

The WHO advises breastfeeding until your child is 2. Of course it's not our culture but there are good health reasons for continuing.

You say you would like to give up now, what is it that is making you feel this? Just asking in case there's something that can be done to make things easier for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: