Talk

Advanced search

Can you take a tablet to dry up your milk?

(6 Posts)
Oopsie Sun 05-Jun-11 20:53:56

I really don't want to breastfeed. Sorry if this offends anyone but it's just not my thing.

Isn't there a tablet you can take straight after the birth to dry up your milk so it never comes in? I'm sure I remember reading that Jordan took something like that.

crikeybadger Sun 05-Jun-11 20:58:36

From what I understand, such a thing does exist, but not all NHS trusts will offer them.

You would probably need to discuss this with your midwife.

elphabadefiesgravity Sun 05-Jun-11 21:10:27

It exists but is not available except in extreme circumstances (death of a baby etc) as I think there can be dangerous side effects.

Notanexcitingname Sun 05-Jun-11 21:11:47

AFAIK not any NHS trust will offer it. There is a small but measurable risk of unpleasant side effects. I wouldn't be suprised if it is obtainable privately.

Cabbage leaves (in the bra) and sage (eaten or drunk as tea) inhibit lactation

sprinkles77 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:32:58

I didn't want to breast feed. My midwife said in that case not to express any milk and not to touch the breasts at all: I could stand in shower but not wash them, let them air dry not towel them. If they were sore take some painkillers. Milk came in day 4 and dried up by about day 10. Hardly any pain at all. Those few days my boobs were a minor inconvenience, but not worth taking anything for. I was on ibuprofen following csection anyway.

Oopsie Sun 05-Jun-11 21:59:46

Thanks everyone. Will talk to midwife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now