Talk

Advanced search

Reaction to formula.

(3 Posts)
Clairencharlie Sun 05-Jun-11 20:07:29

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old but would like the option of giving a bottle of formula on the odd occassion when I go out etc (I know I should express but I am having trouble fitting it into my day!).

On the two occassions that I have given him Aptimal he has thrown up a lot of thick yellow sick about 2 hours later, even when he has taken as little as 2oz. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it is a reaction to formula and worth trying an alternative such as SMA?

Thanks

japhrimel Sun 05-Jun-11 20:09:33

They're all very similar, so although some babies may prefer the taste of one brand, if your LO is having a reaction, it's unlikely another normal formula would make any difference.

As you're bfing the rest of the time, I would just work more on expressing TBH.

narmada Sun 05-Jun-11 21:18:48

Sounds like formula doesn't suit - likely to be the cow's milk protein [CMP] that he can't deal with and that's making him throw up, so changing to another formula probably won't help as CMP is in all standard formulas. There is soy, which may be OK for the odd bottle but really not reccommended for baby boys in particular due to high levels of oestrogenic compounds - also, CMP allergy babies are very often allergic to soy. Expressing is by far your best option I reckon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: